Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need help on configuring email to be sent (Read 5,039 times)
BatDude
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Need help on configuring email to be sent
Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
Hi all,

Relatively new mod on a YABB forum and the email to members and notifications is no longer working.

The server is  smtp.gmail.com and port is 587 with security normal STARTTLS and authentication by PW.  Select SMTP Server Authorization Type was set to Auto.

All has been set in the YABB Admin email section but still not working.

Any help out there?

IP Logged

BatDude
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Need help on configuring email to be sent
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:23pm
Post Tools
Please replay ASSAP

Tnx

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
BatDude wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:22pm:
Select SMTP Server Authorization Type was set to Auto.

Maybe you can try setting it to "PLAIN" for the authorization type.

I think your gmail server is supposed to be smtp.gmail.com:587 if you don't already have that.

Aside from that, if you're using Linux, have you tried using the /Unix/Linux Sendmail setting instead of Gmail?

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

BatDude
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:06pm
Post Tools
Tnx I have it set as:

Send email Unix/Linux Sendmail
Location of Sendmail Program  /usr/sbin/sendmail
SMTP-Server smtp.gmail.com:587
Select SMTP Server Authorization Type now Plain

SMTP Authorization Username & Passwords are correct
Webmaster Email Address  is correct

But when I go to try sending a message to myself from the
Email Your Members section and try noting is happening.
The section indicates
Use tags [name] and [username] to include personalized details in the message.

So I used myname and my forum ID name both in brackets [me] [Forum name] and without brackets.

Nothing seems to be working.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:59pm
Post Tools
Hi BatDude

just tested and works for me
Send e-mails using________________ YaBB SMTP Engine
Location of Sendmail Program_______ /usr/sbin/sendmail
SMTP-Server_____________________ smtp.gmail.com:25
Select SMTP Server Authorization Type LOGIN
SMTP Authorization Username_______ Username@gmail.com
SMTP Authorization Password_______ Password here
Webmaster E-mail Address__________ domain owner email here

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:48am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:59pm:
... just tested and works for me ...
Smiley

I haven't tried using Gmail's server to send messages from our forum, but I do use it all the time for my other main email addresses to send email (versus using my own provider like I used to do).

Interestingly, just today my wife inadvertently deleted a full page of her inbox, and then emptied the trash folder. But ... I showed her how to retrieve those messages from her Gmail account, which of course made her pretty happy.

Thank you Google! Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

BatDude
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 1:34am
Post Tools
still flogging the issue. The above did not work for me.  For my gmail SMTP it must be set for port 587 or it does not get sent.
Sent emails to two responders as I really need to get this sorted out.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 1:56am
Post Tools
Ok, since you and I use the same version of YaBB (2.4), perhaps you can try the settings I use as follows:

Send Emails using: Unix/Linus Sendmail

Location of Sendmail Program: /usr/sbin/sendmail

Edited:
Your sendmail program may use a different folder than the one I use at /usr/sbin/sendmail

SMTP-Server: 127.0.0.1

Select SMTP Server Authorization Type: PLAIN

SMTP Authorization Username: admin

SMTP Authorization Password: ********

Webmaster Email Address: ********@*************

As for your gmail account settings not working for you any longer (as they did before), obviously something has changed. That is what you need to figure out.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2013 at 1:58am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 2:23am
Post Tools
got email from BatDude will update this post with edit after fault finding on forum.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 5:11am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 2:23am:
got email from BatDude ...

Right ... got the same email. As I mentioned in case it can help anyone else with the same problem, if he changes YaBB SMTP Engine to Unix/Linus Sendmail, he might be operational again. He may also need to change LOGIN to PLAIN (even though login should work with a gmail account).

For whatever reason, I seem to recall that YaBB SMTP Engine didn't work for me when Unix/Linus Sendmail did. After all, the following error message is mentioned in my Admin Center:

Quote:
Can't locate Net/SMTP/TLS.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl . ./Modules) at (eval 15) line 3.

As such, the following is affected:

Quote:
Used to send emails via SMTP::TLS.
This module is only needed if you want to send your emails via Net::SMTP::TLS. If you do not send your emails via Net::SMTP::TLS, you do not need this module.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 1:30pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 5:11am:
if he changes YaBB SMTP Engine to Unix/Linus Sendmail, he might be operational again. He may also need to change LOGIN to PLAIN (even though login should work with a gmail account).

it looks like he might be operational again as i have had no more emails from him.
and if he is operational again then the prob was with SMTP Authorization Username
set as Username and not set as Username@gmail.com as gmail and Hotmail both need the full email address to login.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 6:23pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 1:30pm:
it looks like he might be operational again as i have had no more emails from him.
and if he is operational again then the prob was with SMTP Authorization Username
set as Username and not set as Username@gmail.com as gmail and Hotmail both need the full email address to login.

I'm hoping that he's operational again as well. I had a couple of subsequent emails from him, the last of which he gave me a couple of screen shots that clarified his situation.

As you pointed out, Gmail requires that a full email address needs to be included as a username to log in. He is doing this already.

As I've suggested he do when he can, hopefully he'll come back to let us know that he's operational again, and he can let us know how he got it to work again. Maybe he's been offline to get some sleep, and/or to do some other work as I needed to do myself yesterday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Wink

IP Logged

BatDude
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 11:57am
Post Tools
Still no resolution with this issue.

The initial set up was Unix/Linus Sendmail
I tired changing to YaBB SMTP Engine and then back again to Unix/Linus Sendmail

No help
The initial setting for SMTP server was blank so I tried various permutations of this setting:

SMTP::TLS, specify the port number with a ":<portnumber>" at the end. smtp.gmail.com:25

I can not access the help files so this section may be part of the issue?  Single ":" or double "::" needs to be used as separator?

One example: smtp.gmail.com::TLS::587
Also tried single : separators, also port 25, and w & w/o the TLS.

SMTP Server Authorization Type was changed from Auto, Plain and Login.

It seems none of these changes worked.  Each tried one at a time so not dealing with multi-variable changes.

The issue is new members are not receiving verification emails, nor are members receiving email notification of threads they are following when this is selected: Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 6:14pm
Post Tools
BatDude wrote on Dec 5th, 2013 at 11:57am:
Still no resolution with this issue.

Thanks for your update. It helps to know what's going on.

It just occurred to me that your forum may not have email notifications enabled. To check this, go to your Admin Center, then Forum Settings, and then Members.

Scroll down to "Allow to send email notification for boards/threads listed in 'My Notifications' when a new comes in?" This box should be checked.

Regarding your own profile (and then others), go to Options and scroll down to "Notify me of new Notifications by eMail?" The answer should of course be "Yes".

Interestingly, I did some random checking of the last few new members who signed up, and none of them have "Notifications by eMail" turned on.

As I recall, there was a discussion some time ago that involved an admin wanting to set the default to "Yes" versus "No" regarding notifications.

I believe the consensus was that notifications should be kept at the default of "No" since defaulting it to "Yes" could be considered spam as users should be given that choice; not admins.

Please let us know if any of this solves your problem.

If not, maybe you can switch from using a gmail account to YaBB's own software to send notifications. In other words, the "SMTP Authorization Username" would be admin (or your account as moderator), and you'd use SMTP your own password for "Authorization Password" and your own email address for "Webmaster Email Address".

Another option to consider (and I'm volunteering his services again) is to allow xnoddyx into your Admin Center since without fail as far as I know, he's always been able to solve any problems when he's on the inside.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 5:24pm
Post Tools
this is the re: to email

Hi Bruce

I have been testing some items to do with this for you and it maybe a couple of things that are happing here to you.
1. your host is blocking all smtp ports with their firewall
2. your host has a Relay smtp server so you will need to ask your host for the login info for this and this is why for #1
3. your host ip is on a mailer black list. If it is this one then you will need to move hosts
4. your host has misconfigured the perl smtp modules or other items.

As to
" There is an issue with the Registration log as well. The Not Validated entries can not be deleted or viewed and the other 2 entries seem stuck on Awaiting approval...One was successfully added as a member Joes_Wife but he other smuff17 has not."
This maybe down to CHMOD settings find the settings for that here http://yabb252.yabbforumsoftware.com/Quick-Guide_252/English/install/3.php
If its not a CHMOD prob then it maybe a error in one or more log files that need fixed

But what i really need to help you is login info for your forum and also ftp login info.

Thank you.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools