Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Could I get some TLC from the high powers (Read 1,351 times)
andem
YaBB Newcomer

Could I get some TLC from the high powers
Dec 8th, 2013 at 4:54am
Post Tools
Hello everyone. I used to be an active member here years ago. I have been building and promoting some YaBB forums recently and needed to get logged back in here and at BoardMod.

Make a long story only semi-long... my old email for this forum is no longer viable and I cannot access it to reset my password. What would be the possibility of sweet talking the admin to mod my VARS file and hook me up on my new current email so I can have my old account back with my profile and threads like the good ole days?

If somebody can help let me know and I will provide you with every little detail. Thanks for any help you can give!  Kiss

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Could I get some TLC from the high powers
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 7:41am
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 8th, 2013 at 4:54am:
What would be the possibility of sweet talking the admin to mod my VARS file and hook me up on my new current email so I can have my old account back with my profile and threads like the good ole days?

Unfortunately, that possibility is slim to none because the only admin with that kind of access abandoned this forum earlier in the year. He hasn't posted anything since May 6th even though he did log in to his account back on October 11th.

Making matters worse is the abandonment of this forum by its owner who hasn't logged in since January 6th. He last posted over a year ago on October 23, 2012.

To date, attempts to contact either one of them has only lead to more disappointment. Cry

The good news is that support in this forum is otherwise pretty great thanks to a couple of YaBB staffers who continue to offer help. They were only given limited privileges, however. Otherwise, I'm sure your request could have been handled in a timely manner.

Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Meanwhile, YaBB's development is going on over at Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum. I'm guessing there are still hundreds if not thousands of us YaBB admin who continue to love YaBB, and who continue to operate our respective forums.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Post Tools
Thank you so much for the reply? What has happened to YABB here and you know from what I could see BoardMod is still humming along.

Anyway, I love YaBB and it is the only forum software I use and I am also promoting it to my clients as a community building software.

Anyway no harm done I can use this account in here for now.

Now down to business. I need some advice. I have had ALL of my adwords campaigns shut down at Google argh. I am waiting for them to get with me and explain the details. I am very strong in my gut feeling of what the problem is and it is connected to my two YaBB forums that I just got up and running.

Herein lies the problem. When a new member registers they have the option with a check box to hide or not hide their email from public view. If for whatever reason they choose to NOT hide email from public view then their email is on display to anyone who might join the forum.

This in turn creates a spam policy violation with Google. i.e. they shut down all my Adwords ouch.

Now I have dug through the code and I did at least take the step of setting the code to "0" so that when a new member is registering the "default" setting is that this hide email box is checked. That being said they can still uncheck it argh.

So here is the help I need form the gurus. I want to mod my YaBB boards so that the users email is ALWAYS and forever hidden from public view. I do not want them to be able to unhide it and I never want it displayed no matter what.

I can delete the code in register.pl so that the text and checkbox selector for "hide email" is gone. No problem. Now then the next question would be what do you advise is the very best way to also cause the users email to be hidden if their profile is viewed OR if the users open up the "members" section?

My first guess is to delete the "column" on the members display page and delete the "email display" in the profile view.

Or alternately is there a mod that will do this that has already been coded?

Thanks in advance for any help everyone and long live YaBB I refuse to give up on it.  Tongue

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
I'm not so sure you're correct about Google's policy regarding the display of email addresses. It makes no sense, and is entirely unreasonable.

On the other hand, if this is an actual policy of Google, I don't want to put any admin at risk by publicly listing their forums. But I can tell you there are plenty of YaBB forums that have Google AdWords enabled.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 10:44pm
Post Tools
Hi andem

when you say AdWords do you mean AdSense

AdSense (ads that load on your website and that you get paid for)
AdWords (ads you make and pay to be put on websites)

if it is AdSense then as long as it's clear to the website user that it is a ad also no more than three on one page but there is no spam policy apart from you must not click on your own ads or ask or imply that to the people on your website also all pages with ads must be open to all.

if it is AdWords then you have from https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?rd=1

User Experience
Advertising should provide a positive experience to users.

Safety and Security
Advertising should be safe for all users.

Accurate Ads
Advertising should be accurate and truthful.

Transparency and Privacy
Advertising shouldn't violate users' trust or privacy.

Restricted Products and Services
Advertised products and services should be legal and safe for all users.

Trademark, Copyright, and Counterfeit
Advertising should comply with laws and regulations.

Google's Brand
Advertising should be compatible with Google's brand decisions.  

not complying with them will get you suspended any further violations will get your account and websites banned from Google not just AdWords but also from the search index.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2013 at 10:46pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 4:34pm
Post Tools
I've been using Adwords/AdSense for years and some of my members don't hide their emails so I'm thinking the problem might be something else.

IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Post Tools
Thank all of you so much for taking the time to respond and you know what all of you are right on time! Goog le got a hold of me yesterday and my YaBB forums have nothing to do with the problem woo hooo.

The problem is stemming from I installed Dew New PHP Links engine and had put on my sitemap a line that said, "Submit a link to your site." So anyway Google did NOT like that as they view it as a backlink farm.

So anyhoo I fixed everything all up and I converted the Dew New PHP Links into a sitemap engine for my site. I think Dew New has a lot of potential to be used for very large websites as a sitemap engine but that is another topic.

New question, has anybody been able to install YaBB chat in the lasts 2.5 version? When I tried to install it there is one file that is no longer existing in the new version and so one step failed.

Apparently that file is needed for install and it has either been deprecated or renamed?  Huh Anyhow if somebody has advice on this I would love to get YaBB chat up and running if possible. Cheers!  Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 5:44am
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 10th, 2013 at 6:08pm:
New question, has anybody been able to install YaBB chat in the lasts 2.5 version? When I tried to install it there is one file that is no longer existing in the new version and so one step failed. Apparently that file is needed for install and it has either been deprecated or renamed?   Anyhow if somebody has advice on this I would love to get YaBB chat up and running if possible. Cheers! 

Hi andem

Chat CE 4 YaBB 2.4 works with YaBB 2.5AE and YaBB 2.5.2 for 2.5.2 you will need to download http://sourceforge.net/code-snapshots/svn/y/ya/yabb/svn/yabb-svn-1379-branches-2...
and then dpwnload Chat CE 4 YaBB 2.4 from here http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1266352251

tested and no errors.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Post Tools
Thank you very much xnoddyx!  Smiley

IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 2:40pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx, I am running 2.5.2 and I cannot seem to get your first listed link to work. I also did a search at soured forge for chat ce 4 yabb and had no luck.

Could you do me a huge favor and double check that link you posted? Thanks a bunch!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 3:08pm
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 2:40pm:
xnoddyx, I am running 2.5.2 and I cannot seem to get your first listed link to work. I also did a search at soured forge for chat ce 4 yabb and had no luck.

Could you do me a huge favor and double check that link you posted? Thanks a bunch!

Hi andem

sorry for the first link not working sourceforge has been playing up lately adding new items and playing with there code here is a new link for you.
http://sourceforge.net/p/yabb/svn/HEAD/tree/branches/2.5.2/ on this page click Download Snapshot

and you won't find chat ce 4 yabb on sourceforge as this is a mod made by carsten
you will find it here xnoddyx wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 5:44am:

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top