Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Password (Read 1,938 times)
xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Password
Dec 11th, 2013 at 2:22am
Post Tools
I forgot my password as admin for my YaBB forum. There is some way to recover it?
Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Password
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 5:02am
Post Tools
xpgu wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 2:22am:
I forgot my password as admin for my YaBB forum. There is some way to recover it?
Undecided

You can't really recover your password, but you can reset it to gain access. Just click Login on your forum's menu, and then click the Forgot Password? link. An automated message will be sent to your email address, which will contain a link to reset your password.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 6:27am
Post Tools
Bill is right on time here. The only problem with this method is if by some chance that email is no longer available...

There is a work around for that issue (email unavailable or typed in wrong) but I would not want to put that out there unless I could positively ID you as the for sure owner of the board...  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 6:43am
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 6:27am:
... if by some chance that email is no longer available...

On that note, if there's only one admin in a forum, at least one other additional admin account should be created in the event the main admin account gets corrupted or becomes inaccessible because an email address is no longer available. That way, quick and easy fixes can be made via whichever admin account is still working.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Post Tools
Well, the email is corrected because I have only two email addresses and none of them are recognized by the forum. So, please Andem, go ahead with my verification as the owner of the forum. Thanks.

IP Logged

xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Post Tools
xpgu wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 3:17pm:
... go ahead with my verification as the owner of the forum.

Verification isn't needed since this problem is a public solution provided by YaBB Codex here.

IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Post Tools
Thank you for providing that link Bill you just saved me some typing and explaining!

Pretty amazing support here!  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:37pm
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:00pm:
Pretty amazing support here!  Wink

And we're not even official members of YaBB's support staff. Cheesy

It's kind of like the old days when much of YaBB's support was given by its members. Unfortunately, YaBB's admin at the time wasn't particularly friendly when it came to regular members giving support. Not only did he complain about us trying to help, but he threatened to ban some of us for it. Very odd.

A lot of members who previously offered their help left. Members with thick skin like me stayed on the best that we could even while some of our posts were being deleted or hidden from the public (yet another unexplained oddity).

Even though that particular admin is now absentee after abandoning his duties here, and the owner of this forum hasn't yet given full admin privileges to any of YaBB's current official staff members, the support given in this forum continues to be excellent.

In large part that's because of Dandello's leadership, and xnoddyx's generous and outstanding assistance. Ironically, Dandello's IP address prevents her from fully accessing this forum to help (other than by proxy, which is a pain).

In another irony, the admin who kind of publicly lost it on this site was an otherwise excellent admin, and very knowledgeable about YaBB. In fact, he alone kept this forum operating despite the lack of open communication with its owner. Under the circumstances, and particularly in light of his reversal of his own prior bad, and odd actions, he was a huge asset for this forum.

Because of the lack of transparency here, and no online communication whatsoever, it's hard to have any confidence about this support forum's future.

Thankfully, however, the ongoing effort Dandello has made over at her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum to improve upon YaBB, and to keep it relevant has been extraordinary (with help and support from others as well).

In any case, thanks for helping out. People like you are who keep YaBB going. Cool

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 9:40pm
Post Tools
Another thing you can do if you have access to your vars file is to edit it.

You'll find it cgi-bin/yabb2/Members/YourUserName.vars

The first three lines look this

Code
Select All
'realname',"xpgu"
'password',"EnterNewPassWordHere"
'position',"Admin" 

Edit the password, save the file, log in and the change your password so it will then be encrypted
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2013 at 9:43pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 3:32am
Post Tools
Thank you very much too all of you, unofficial members of YaBB's support, for responding, you are awesome! I really appreciate what yo Cheesyu all are doing, if Yabb don't appreciate I do! The option that worked was uploading a fresh copy of admin.vars. I followed the instructions and now I back finishing setting up my forum. Thanks again.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:28am
Post Tools
if the admin email is no longer available as
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 5:02am:
you can reset it to gain access. Just click Login on your forum's menu, and then click the Forgot Password? link. An automated message will be sent to your email address, which will contain a link to reset your password.

the recommended way is as
------ wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
Another thing you can do if you have access to your vars file is to edit it.You'll find it cgi-bin/yabb2/Members/YourUserName.varsThe first three lines look this  Code 'realname',"xpgu"
'password',"EnterNewPassWordHere"
'position',"Admin"

Edit the password, save the file, log in and the change your password so it will then be encrypted

when you use the new password to login YaBB will then re encrypt the password for you no need to make any more edits to it.

NOTE: master YaBB Administrator account cannot be edited from any other accounts only the master YaBB Administrator account can make edits to itself

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:37pm:
And we're not even official members of YaBB's support staff. It's kind of like the old days when much of YaBB's support was given by its members.

That is how I got where I am just now  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:35am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:50pm
Post Tools
Bill, I read your post with great dismay. How is it that such an amazing piece of software as YaBB could find itself in this current state?

This is literally a tragedy in my eyes and it is very sad to hear. I hope at some point things will get worked out for the sake of the community of people who use this product.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:28am:
when you use the new password to login YaBB will then re encrypt the password for you no need to make any more edits to it.

Good to know

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 5:16pm
Post Tools
andem wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:50pm:
How is it that such an amazing piece of software as YaBB could find itself in this current state?

With this particular forum, it only took one admin to pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of what had previously become a very unfriendly place to participate. What's almost nailed the coffin shut is the lack of any corrective action by the owner of this forum's domain.

On top of that, James Aitken (LoonyPandora) announced that UK2NET will no longer be hosing this domain (after February I think). They nonetheless should be applauded for having generously provided free hosting over the last couple of years.

But there's good news to be had. The registration of this domain has been extended for another year by its owner, so it's possible that this forum will officially remain YaBB's Chat and Support Community.

Adding to that good news is the continuing development of YaBB's next version thanks to the dedication of Dandello's work at her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum. Her capable leadership has already shown that she can do whatever is necessary to keep the future of YaBB alive and well.

So even in the worst of times for this forum when things were arguably worse than they are now, I remain hopeful as I always am about YaBB.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top