Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Driving Pople To Your Forum (Read 191 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Driving Pople To Your Forum
Dec 14th, 2013 at 10:59am
Post Tools
------ wrote on Dec 13th, 2013 at 4:03pm:
How are you planning to drive people to your forums?

This came out of another thread and I am interested in peoples views.

I myself am finding Facebook a serious threat to my forum.  I did start the Facebook page to try and attract people to the forum however the ease of using Facebook, especially the ability to almost instantly upload photos via a mobile telephone is proving more popular.

IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Re: Driving Pople To Your Forum
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:13am
Post Tools
Derek, driving people to anything including a yabb board is always a difficult task. There is countless competition for everyone's time and yes this includes the likes of facebook, twitter pinterest you name it.

And of course driving them to the forum is just one piece of the puzzle even if they join up the trick is to get them actively involved and participating.

I do not have a good answer to this as I also deal with the same dilemma. I have tried using Adwords with some success but it can be an expense and you will have mixed results.

You can use social media to send people if you have enough followers. You can also use different types of online marketing via banner ads and things like that. Lastly you can get traffic from organic search results if your boards contain decent content and the right keywords.

Keep in mind you can add onto your Yabb a community section that is a facebook clone. You can also add on a community section that is a twitter clone. This would give your users flexibility to choose the type of format they prefer whether it be discussion board, fb clone or twitter clone.

I have a fb clone and twitter clone running and you are more than welcome to go check them out. I do believe you could add this or combine these right in with any yabb board you have running.

Check out the FB clone: http://impactsocialmedia.net/community_building_sites/oxwall/

Check out the twitter clone: http://impactsocialmedia.net/community_building_sites/jcow/index.php?p=feed

Regardless of what you try or do I sincerely hope it works and if you come into a good technique let me know I am all ears  Cool

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Post Tools
I was lucky to start with, there was already a large base of people interested in woodturning when my forum was started.

There are a few woodturning symposiums each year and I went to one armed with a few thousand business cards printed with the forum's name and a link to the site. Then I stopped at each vendor and asked if I could leave a pile of cards on their table in return for one year free of advertising. I also asked the people running the symposium if I could leave cards around various places.

IP Logged

andem
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 6:23am
Post Tools
Yeah that was good thinking. The truth is good old fashioned marketing can produce the best results.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 3:45pm
Post Tools
IMO, facebook is the worst way to advertise.

Even google calls and sends me regular mail asking me to advertise. That tells you something.

If there are clubs that fit your forum's category, contact them and offer to start a thread for an event they are having in return for them to let their members know where they can get up to date information about club events.

Quote:
especially the ability to almost instantly upload photos via a mobile telephone is proving more popular.

This is a weak spot for yabb

IP Logged

nelsa
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 2:07am
Post Tools
Why you think Facebook is worst place for adversting.

Military Forum Vojnik : forumvojnik.org

Free Web Hosting : gmdf.net
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo