Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Views counter on my forum reset itself back to zero (Read 513 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Views counter on my forum reset itself back to zero
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 7:27am
Post Tools
DeborahW wrote on Dec 16th, 2013 at 3:29am:
Thank you all so much! I just got back home from out of town and I will now show your responses to my husband because I am pretty basic with computer knowledge, but he isn't. I'll show him your responses and get back to you.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help because I want to fix this for my elderly blogger since she loves it so much!

if you are still in need of help post back and we will see what we can do for you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

DeborahW
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 3:29am
Post Tools
Thank you all so much! I just got back home from out of town and I will now show your responses to my husband because I am pretty basic with computer knowledge, but he isn't. I'll show him your responses and get back to you.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help because I want to fix this for my elderly blogger since she loves it so much!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Post Tools
DeborahW wrote on Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:47pm:
... can I fix it to show that the views are actually 65,000?

The quick answer is yes. You can fix the total number of views. Obviously, you'll want to be as accurate about the number of views as you can, so maybe that number would be 65,338. Whatever.

Please take heed to xnoddyx's post, however, because he's an expert at how YaBB works. So whatever he states should always be considered. My gut's telling me this problem is related to running low on the server's disk space, which is hopefully only a temporary situation.

In any case, the member who was showing so many views has two files that hold information about the posts in her topic. One file ends with a ctb extension, and the other file ends with a txt extension. The file with the ctb extension can be edited to change the number of views.

As an example, that file's content will look something like the following (I highlighted the number that needs to be changed):

Code
Select All
### ThreadID: 1387115277, LastModified: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:47:17 -0800 ###

'board',"Blog"
'replies',"2,287"
'views',"338"
'lastposter',"DeborahW"
'lastpostdate',"1387115277"
'threadstatus',"0h"
'repliers',"1386874037|admin|0" 

The easiest way to identify the file that's associated with her topic is to click the icon that's immediately to the left of the date that's shown above her name.

As an actual example to be specific, here in this topic you would click this icon next to the date above your own name, and make note of the url that shows in your browser's address bar.

In this case the address bar will show the following (I highlighted the message identifier):

Code
Select All
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1387115277/0#0 

As such, 1387115277.ctb would be the file you'd need to edit to correct the total number of views. You can find the file associated with your member located in your YaBB Messages directory.

Important! If you do this, make sure you have at least one good copy of the original file you're editing in case you need to upload it onto the server again (a text upload; not binary).

Also, just so you know that you can do this, my suggestion is to test this with another post in your forum. As such, you may want to create a staff-only section if you don't already have one so that you can do your tests privately. I've never had to make the edit I've suggested here, but I just tested this for you in my own YaBB 2.4 forum, and found the edit to be successful.

Good luck, and have fun with your forum.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2013 at 5:41pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Post Tools
Hi DeborahW

have you had any problems with your hosting ? e.g.
you still have free hard drive space.
your host has not moved you servers.

when was the last time you made a backup of your forum ?
also is that the only problem you have had with your forum ?
do you have any mods running on the forum ?

can you post or pm me a link to your forum and pm me admin login info for it.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

DeborahW
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Views counter on my forum reset itself back to zero
Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:47pm
Post Tools
On my forum I have a category where people can blog their thoughts. One of our old timers gets great joy out of her daily blogs and loves seeing how many views she gets over the years. She had about 65,000 views and then suddenly it started over and is not only showing 338 views. She is so upset because she wanted to see it hit 100,000.

What happened and can I fix it to show that the views are actually 65,000?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top