Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Interesting Statistics... (Read 1,372 times)
Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Interesting Statistics...
Dec 23rd, 2013 at 7:10am
Post Tools
Interesting Statistics. From many of  bulletin software community/support forums out there, the only forum that have more members than posts is YABB.  Why would that be? I wonder.
Just picked three for elucidation purposes.

YABB
26,605 Posts in in 3,290 Topics. Total  53,953 registered members.

SMF
3,439,825 Posts in 418,897 Topics Total 327,228 Members.

PHPBB
3,887,747  Posts in 649,999 Topics  Total members 445,636

Perhaps guests just register to read posts?... Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 7:21am by Elrick. »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Interesting Statistics...
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:00am
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 7:10am:
Interesting Statistics.

YABB
26,605 Posts in in 3,290 Topics. Total  53,953 registered members.

Perhaps guests just register to read posts?... Roll Eyes

In short, the statistics in this forum aren't reliable.

Regarding this forum as I remember it from an admin's or moderator's post, I believe that many posts/topics were deleted as part of YaBB's housekeeping (probably in the many thousands). I think the word used was "archived", but if those so-called archived posts were placed in an area that the public can't access, then those posts were effectively deleted.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of referenced help posts that became dead links in the process of archiving/deleting all of those posts/topics.

In additon to those archived/deleted posts/topics, there was a time in 2012 I think when many hundreds of posts by members were deleted simply because they chose to criticize YaBB's management. Many of my own posts were deleted, although some of those deleted posts that were the beginning of topics were subsequently posted online again by YaBB's admin at the time.

At the present time this forum has no working admin because he stopped his duties without notice, and he has yet to return. To make matters worse, this forum's owner has been absentee for a long time, and he has yet to assign admin duties to anyone else.

All of this seems unbelievable, and defies sensible explanation. But truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:02am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

WestwegoMan
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:41pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:00am:
At the present time this forum has no working admin because he stopped his duties without notice, and he has yet to return. To make matters worse, this forum's owner has been absentee for a long time, and he has yet to assign admin duties to anyone else.

All of this seems unbelievable, and defies sensible explanation. But truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. Roll Eyes

Which really has been a black eye to YaBB..... 2 black eyes!
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:42pm by WestwegoMan »  
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:00am
Post Tools
Back as far as I can remember YaBB always removed old posts and 'archived' them.  Not sure why but they did.

I think that about mid February next year we will try to access this forum and Boardmod as usual but unfortunately it will no longer exist.  Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:36pm
Post Tools
It'll be interesting to see what happens, particularly since both domains were renewed for another year.

Especially with Corey since I still believe he's always had good intentions, and still does, I think what happens with this domain will be determined by what Dandello decides to do with YaBB's development. I say this with the presumption that Corey meant what he's publicly stated, and that he'll stick to his word.

For those who may not know, Corey has publicly asked for others to step up to the plate so that he doesn't have to do everything on his own. I think that's a well deserved request that should be respected, and even honored because of his history with YaBB.

In a very public way, Dandello has indeed stepped up to the plate with Corey's public request. As things stand now, she has the ability, and in my opinion, the right to move YaBB off to another official chat and support community if in fact Corey doesn't support her by forging a partnership with this domain.

As I've publicly mentioned before (including by email to Corey directly), Dandello has more than earned the privilege of being the new admin of this domain. A hint of how well she'd administer this forum can be seen in her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum.

Ironically, even though Dandello is a staff member here in this YaBB Chat and Support Community, she's once again had her access blocked because of a software glitch of this YaBB Next Edition software, which was long ago abandoned, and obviously needs to be swapped out for a stable version. I think this is the 2nd time this has happened to her.

I had the same thing happen to me, but I was fortunate enough to have had that access restored within a couple of weeks. I still had access through a proxy, but that has its limitations as anyone who uses a proxy well knows.

If it's any consolation, YaBB can still be alive and well even if just one of us continues to use its software.  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 8:19am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:36pm:
For those who may not know, Corey has publicly asked for others to step up to the plate so that he doesn't have to do everything on his own. I think that's a well deserved request that should be respected, and even honored because of his history with YaBB.

When did he do that Bill??

He hasn't been on here for nearly a year, he doesn't have anything to do with the YaBB Facebook page which he started and although he allegedly knows about it he hasn't done anything since JonB abandoned the admin roll several months ago leaving no active admin for the forum.

He is not answering emails and he is not answering messgaes through YaBB Facebook page or his personal Facebook page.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 3:22pm
Post Tools
Corey has publicly stated his wish for others to step up to the plate a number of times. To sum it up he posted, "However, the best thing I can do right now is back away and let free speech, creativity, development, and ideas happen.  That should allow the project to go in whatever direction it needs to, without me to blame, and allow the team to figure out how it should work.  Once/if we get to that point, then the belt can tighten again." He actually posted a lot more, which is well worth reading.

Regarding inaccurate reports about Corey not answering emails, he stated, "I have not ignored any emails from members.  The few I have gotten have been responded to.  It is really the other way around.  Over the last few years, most emails I have sent to team members were ignored completely."

For the record with one exception, Corey has always answered my emails, and with that exception there was a valid reason not to answer me directly since his reply was instead made to Derek Barnstorm after I posted a way to contact Corey directly (referenced here in Carsten's forum).

In reply to your own post here regarding JonB, Derek Barnstorm posted, "I had the job of contacting Corey (who I promptly got an email back from, by the way) and Dandello had the job of contacting JonB  - I don't know how she's got on with that yet though."

When Corey publicly states, "I shouldn't have to explain myself all the time," I empathize with what he's saying. In the meantime, this domain of his was renewed to December 9, 2014.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top