Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Attachments can't be uploaded (Read 1,133 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Attachments can't be uploaded
Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Post Tools
I don't believe the error log that your host provided to you has anything to do with why attachments aren't able to be uploaded onto the server ... particularly since you aren't getting any error messages from YaBB.

However, I think your host may be correct that there's a script error of some kind.

Regarding that possible script error, my gut's telling me that Ron may be correct about your problem being an issue of a corrupt file or files. My guess is that the Downloads.pl file in your Sources folder may be the one that's corrupt.

If this is the case, then uploading a backup of that file to your server might solve the problem, presuming that the backup itself isn't corrupt. I'm thinking you could also upload a generic Downloads.pl file from YaBB that would work properly.

Important: I'm only guessing about what may have happened. As such, my recommendation would be for you to seek additional help with a real YaBB expert (in addition to Ron's expertise since he seems to be quite good with knowing how YaBB operates).

As such, you can seek Dandello's help over in her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum. She's leading the team that is developing YaBB's next release. Unfortunately because of a software glitch of some kind that's adversely effecting this particular forum, it seems, and there's no working admin here to correct it, Dandello's been locked out to offer help here. Otherwise, she would most likely have a solution for you.

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:33pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 5:17pm
Post Tools
scherliralf wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:13pm:
Could you give me a hint what folders could be overwritten easily without being in danger of overwrite any postings, user information, admin stuff etc

There might be an issue if you added any mods since June. Other than that overwriting the files in /cgi-bin/yabb2/Sources shouldn't cause problems.

Definitely make a backup first then one by one overwrite the files on the server with the ones from the June backup and if you see a problem restore the files from the February backup.

You could also take a peek at the code in the files that are now present and see if anything looks weird.

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Post Tools
scherliralf wrote on Jan 10th, 2014 at 12:54pm:
Are you sure you are uploading to the correct directory or to one that is on your server?

/yabbfiles/Attachments should definitely be the correct directory. Admin Center tells me the path and its permissions are correct.

Is it possible your files became corrupt? Maybe overwriting them with a clean backup from before you started having the problems?

This might be worth a try. I have made a backup of the whole forum in June but I don't want to overwrite any stuff that has changed in the meantime. Could you give me a hint what folders could be overwritten easily without being in danger of overwrite any postings, user information, admin stuff etc.?

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 11:58am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 4th, 2014 at 9:21pm:
This shouldn't be considered a proper solution, but simply a test regarding a possible permissions issue. As such, try temporarily setting the permissions to 777.

Changed /Attachments to 777 - still the same

Also, you'll want to check to see if the resetting of the size of your attachments directory actually took effect after it was saved. Whatever that size is, check what your Admin Center is telling you about the attachments that are already in your forum. If it looks similar to the following example, then you'll need to add more space.

Total Attachments:  985
Total Size of Attachment Directory:  24822 KB
Total Space Available in Attachments Directory:       25000 KB

Actually this gave me a glimmer of hope as it said
Totel Attachments: 351
Total Size of Attachment Directory: 800082 KB
Total Space Available in Attachments Directory: 199918 KB

Changed the total space to 9999999 KB but it's still the same. Sad

Another test to make is to try attaching a very small file that you've confirmed is smaller than whatever "File Size Limit" you're currently allowing. It's possible that the attempted uploading of attachments is simply bigger than allowed.

Tried a 1 KB file - still the same.
Size limit is deactivated anyway with the setting of 0 KB. I had tried different settings here already.

Another thing to check is to make sure that you have enough room on the server your forum is hosted on. Even if your host offers "unlimited" space, it's still possible that you've run out of room (often because of accumulated backups that haven't been deleted).

Webspace quota says 1235,31 MB free space out of a total 7000 MB

On that note, check to see if your host needed to move your forum and/or site to another server (even if all they did was to add an additional server for more space). You can confirm if this happened by accessing your Admin Center to look for "Attachment directory exists and has correct permissions?" The answer should of course be listed as "Yes" in green.

Yes, directory exists and has correct permissions.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Post Tools
This shouldn't be considered a proper solution, but simply a test regarding a possible permissions issue. As such, try temporarily setting the permissions to 777.

Also, you'll want to check to see if the resetting of the size of your attachments directory actually took effect after it was saved. Whatever that size is, check what your Admin Center is telling you about the attachments that are already in your forum. If it looks similar to the following example, then you'll need to add more space.

Total Attachments:  985
Total Size of Attachment Directory:  24822 KB
Total Space Available in Attachments Directory:      25000 KB

Another test to make is to try attaching a very small file that you've confirmed is smaller than whatever "File Size Limit" you're currently allowing. It's possible that the attempted uploading of attachments is simply bigger than allowed.

Another thing to check is to make sure that you have enough room on the server your forum is hosted on. Even if your host offers "unlimited" space, it's still possible that you've run out of room (often because of accumulated backups that haven't been deleted).

On that note, check to see if your host needed to move your forum and/or site to another server (even if all they did was to add an additional server for more space). You can confirm if this happened by accessing your Admin Center to look for "Attachment directory exists and has correct permissions?" The answer should of course be listed as "Yes" in green.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 3:22pm
Post Tools
Just guessing

[Fri Jan 10 12:57:27 2014] [error] [client 81.0.145.205] (13)Permission denied: file permissions deny server access: /is/htdocs/xxx/www/xxx/yabbfiles/shjs/styles/sh_style.css, referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372854512

[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] Compilation failed in require at /is/htdocs/xxx/www/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl line 49., referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=....

* Are you sure you are uploading to the correct directory or to one that is on your server?

[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] Compilation failed in require at /is/htdocs/xxx/www/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl line 49., referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=....

[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] Premature end of script headers: YaBB.pl, referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=....

* Is it possible your files became corrupt? Maybe overwriting them with a clean backup from before you started having the problems?

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 10:28am
Post Tools
Anyone out there who can help? The problem still exists.

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:30pm
Post Tools
/Attachments has already been set to 0755

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:38am
Post Tools
file permissions deny server access:

Check the chmod for the attachment directory, it should be 0755

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 11:59am
Post Tools
That would have been easy - nice try but unfortunately it doesn't help.

Setting it to 1000000 KB didn't help.

IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2014 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Perhaps you might need to enlarge the Attachment Directory size limit?

<div class=

IP Logged

scherliralf
YaBB Newcomer

Attachments can't be uploaded
Jan 10th, 2014 at 12:54pm
Post Tools
In my customer's YaBB 2.5.2 forum we are facing the problem that as soon as you add an attachment to a post there's an error message and the post along with its attachment can't be saved.

Anything has worked fine til the end of November, and then suddenly no more attachments were accepted. There were no updates or changes in the settings made at this time - it just stopped working because of whatever reason.

YaBB doesn't show any error message, but we get a message from our provider Hosteurope - see attachment to this post.

Hosteurope's error log states the following:

Quote:
[Fri Jan 10 12:57:27 2014] [error] [client 81.0.145.205] (13)Permission denied: file permissions deny server access: /is/htdocs/xxx/www/xxx/yabbfiles/shjs/styles/sh_style.css, referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372854512
[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] CGI open of tmpfile: Permission denied, referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=...
[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] Compilation failed in require at /is/htdocs/xxx/www/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl line 49., referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=...
[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /is/htdocs/xxx/www/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl line 56., referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=...
[Fri Jan 10 12:57:58 2014] [error] [client 82.140.23.84] Premature end of script headers: YaBB.pl, referer: http://www.xxx.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=logos-sonstige;action=post;title=...

Hosteurope's support says that there's no technical problem on the server and that it seems to be script error.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

I have tried almost any possible combination of settings in the admin center, and right now I tend towards deleting the forum and installing anything again - unless there's anyone out there who can help me.

Any support would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ralf

he-error_001.jpg ( 87 KB | 9 Downloads )
he-error_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top