Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic "The E-mail field was not filled out. It is required." (Read 893 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: "The E-mail field was not filled out. It is required."
Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:43pm
Post Tools
It never occurred to me that a spam collector could be collecting the newest IPs of spambots. That would be pretty clever.

I just took another quick look to see the data keeps growing (as of this post). Cheesy

Quote:
Our users have made 167295 Posts within 145003 Topics.

We have 153893 registered members.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:07pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 5th, 2014 at 7:35am:
I can't tell you why I'm laughing at this, but I am. Every time I refresh that forum there are new spam posts. And in the short bit of time it took to finish this post, the membership count went from 153189 to 153221.

Maybe - just maybe - it's a spam collector to get the newest IPs of the most recent spambots? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:08pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 7:35am
Post Tools
That's a good point about being on a closed network. That reminds me of other possibilities for YaBB such as having an intranet of sorts for extended family members, neighborhood watch groups, etc.

I know this has nothing to do with anything here, but I thought it was kind of funny when I recently came across a YaBB forum that only seems to be used for spammers. The following are its stats as of this post:

Quote:
Our users have made 165853 Posts within 143726 Topics.

We have 153189 registered members.

I can't tell you why I'm laughing at this, but I am. Every time I refresh that forum there are new spam posts. And in the short bit of time it took to finish this post, the membership count went from 153189 to 153221.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 6:38am
Post Tools
The downside of not requiring email addresses (aside from accountability) is that the admin can't contact them if there's a need.

Of course, on a closed network, you could remove all the restictions on membership and let people simply register.  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 5:46am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:28am:
But I'm sure we can make a mod for it.  Wink

If somebody does make a mod for it, I might end up giving it a try. I'm putting myself in the shoes of a guest, which is why I think people will probably appreciate not having to input their email address.

But from an admin's point of view, one of the cool things about guests having to include their email address is that it shows up as a link (otherwise hidden from the public). As such, there's an air of accountability although I realize a fake email address can be used.

From what I've seen, except for spammers, guests seem to use their own email address. I've been able to confirm this by noticing guests who subsequently registered as a member using the same email address they had previously used to post as a guest.

Then again, one of the numerous benefits of guests who register as members is that they don't have to input their email address every time they post. Also, as they might prefer it, they can keep their email address hidden from the public (our opt-in default setting).

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:28am
Post Tools
But I'm sure we can make a mod for it.  Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 2:38am
Post Tools
Ippe -

I think the new YaBB 2.6 has that option.

Edited:
I'm wrong

Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2014 at 2:53am by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 2:37am
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from YaBB Coding & Internals [move by] JonB.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

ippe73
YaBB Newcomer

"The E-mail field was not filled out. It is required."
Feb 5th, 2014 at 2:09pm
Post Tools

Guests get error "The E-mail field was not filled out. It is required." I can't find any setting, that guests can post topics without email. Is there that kind of setting, or am I just blind?

Is it anyway possible to let guests post topics without filling email-filed everytime. It is only intranet usage, so whole world cannot post Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top