Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
There are no actions to perform.
Normal Topic Error trying to modify profile (Read 1,573 times)
xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Error trying to modify profile
Feb 8th, 2014 at 11:23pm
How can I fix this issue:

Can't open directory (/home/content/u/p/a/upavision/html/Forum/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars)!
Please inform the Administrator of this forum that the $facesdir setting must be fixed immediately.
Script: ./Sources/Profile.pl
Line: 638
Subroutine: ModifyProfileOptions
Verbose: No such file or directory

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Error trying to modify profile
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 3:16am
xpgu wrote on Feb 8th, 2014 at 11:23pm:
Can't open directory (/home/content/u/p/a/upavision/html/Forum/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars)!

In your Admin Center>Path Settings you'll want to check your path setting for your avatars directory ("Avatar Dir:"). If it's a little confusing to you, checking your "Absolute Path to your main YaBB directory" at the top will give you a clue about the proper address to use.

More directly, check what you have for your "HTML Dir:" since whatever that is will have "/yabbfiles" at the end of it. As such, your avatars directory will be "/yabbfiles/avatars" at the end of your forum's absolute path.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: Like most others, this forum doesn't allow us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 4:32am
They look the same to me. Here is a copy/paste.

HTML Dir: /home/content/u/p/a/upavision/html/Forum/public_html/yabbfiles

Avatar Dir:/home/content/u/p/a/upavision/html/Forum/public_html/yabbfiles/avatars

The directory is there, and all the .gif files are there.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 6:09am
I can think of two other things to check, and one thing to do if this doesn't help.

Check to see if your avatars folder has permissions of 755 (yabbfiles at 755 as well). By the way, the UserAvatars folder needs to have permissions of 777.

If your permissions are okay, is this error occuring with just one member? If so, that member's permissions for the associated vars file may need to be changed from 644 to 666.

If you're not sure whether or not this error is occuring with just one member, register in your forum as a new member to see what happens when you try to modify that profile.

Also, sometimes a member's var file will become corrupted, in which case it can be refreshed with a backed up copy.

Note: Like most others, this forum doesn't allow us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:03pm
Ummm - no Bill - NO folder should be '777' - because you can upload and execute malicious code to it....

Just sayin'
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:37pm

I agree with you. That's why I've always found it odd that the UserAvatars folder has permissions of 777. I was surprised that YaBB's software gave those permissions automatically (version 2.4).

By the way (referenced here), on an unrelated matter that only a handful of people are going to know about, thank you for giving me the "dummies" version of how to access this forum since as of this post, access for the general public isn't available.

IP Logged

xpgu
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 2:25pm
Thanks Bill. I notice in "Path Settings" that the line under "This information may be useful for troubleshooting purposes" was different to the three directory that I pasted before. So, I changed them to match, and everything is working fine. Thanks again Bill. I appreciate that you are always there to help.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 2:34pm
Great! Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 5:24pm
xpgu wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 2:25pm:
Thanks again Bill. I appreciate that you are always there to help.

I always give it my best shot even when I'm confused about possible solutions. Sometimes kicking things around really helps. In any case, I'm very pleased that everything is working fine again.

By the way, the really great news about this support forum is that its admin is back again to tweak things to near perfection. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1