Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Yes - the 'Forkers' were waiting in the wings (Read 710 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Yes - the 'Forkers' were waiting in the wings
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 11:04pm
Post Tools
You were definitely good at swatting away the spam-bots. But why swat them when there's no need?

In any case, I'm looking forward to one day seeing this forum operate with a stable version of YaBB again, and one that will include effective tools to keep spam-bots away.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 9:02pm
Post Tools
Bill -

I have 'almost' all the tools on my running 2.4 forums and they are pretty good (I use the honeypot and anti-spam question). 

Remember, I was the guy who started the Google Group 'YaBB Anti-spam Hit Squad' ??? (and cleaned up the mess here???)

Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 8:30pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Mar 1st, 2014 at 7:44pm:
SERVER based IP's are likely to get banned.

YaBB's anti-spam-bot options have been so good the last couple of years, you don't actually need to ban IP addresses at all any more; at least in terms of stopping spam-bots cold. That's to say, after you've engaged the newest stable version of YaBB to replace YaBB Next Edition that this forum is still using.

Made even better by Dandello (with the help of at least one team member, I think), YaBB now makes it a snap to implement these tools, and edit them as needed on the fly via the Admin Center, which is an incredible advancement. I've had a peek, and I was very impressed!

Also, even though I realize you resist the truth in it, I can happily assure you from experience, the most recent spammer whose post you got rid of wouldn't have been able to make that post with YaBB's latest, and best anti-spam-bot tools.

Believe it or not, that particular post was actually made by a spam-bot; not a hu-bot even though clever spammers have been able to make you think differently. That's the benefit for spammers who have implemented such advanced spam-bots; even the most intelligent of webmasters are easily fooled.

You don't need to take my word for it, or any other admin who have been able to keep their forums free from spammers. As I've urged you to do before numerous times, all you need to do is to give YaBB's wonderfully effective anti-spam-bot tools a try, and you'll see for yourself just how well spam-bots are stopped cold!

As for the real hu-bots, you can continue to swat them away as you've done. Cheesy

Edited:
By the way, spam-bot automation that otherwise publishes generic posts are unable to get past the registration process.

Quote:
"Can't see the forest for the trees."

Very smart people are sometimes unable to see the forest of the obvious for the trees of intelligence that blocks their view.

In contrast, sometimes a dummy like me with only a few trees of intelligence can very easily see the forest of the obvious.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2014 at 8:58pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
and we have another Moderator too now...  Cool

Now I just have to do 50 more things  Lips Sealed

P.S. - I'm not a 'snap' decider on banning IP's as many folks share their IP's on dynamic IP pools that belong to an ISP.  SERVER based IP's are likely to get banned.

thanks
Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2014 at 7:46pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:07pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:13am:
And I know all of those IP's

Just so you know, as it just occurred to me to check, and although I guess I'm stating the obvious because there certainly are legitimate guests included in that list of IP addresses, my own IP address shows up as one of those "Forkers" in this attached pic of yours that illustrated your post.

So please be careful about banning all of those IP addresses. Wink

Regarding how "maxed-out" you and the others you listed are, I can empathize. This is one of the reasons it's important to have other less maxed-out admins or moderators who've been delegated to pick up the slack if or when you're not around.

But then, I think I remember reading elsewhere recently that you now have a handle on that issue. Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Post Tools
I don't know that answer completely Bill, it has turned out that folks like Corey, myself and Loony Pandora are few and far between. AND most have 'maxed-out' stressful jobs as they are always who is turned to when things 'get forked'.

Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 5:45pm:
Let's make sure we can post -

Obviously, I can still post. By the way, thank you for letting us know how to get into the forum here when it was still closed to the public. Your tricks of the trade still amaze me. If it's not one thing, it's another that I've ended up learning from you. In any case, I'm glad to see that this forum is once again open to everyone.

See what happens when you disappear? Please don't do that again.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Post Tools
Let's make sure we can post -

Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2014 at 5:48pm by JonB »  

craft_hustler_at_work-2.png (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:16am
Post Tools
Error found -
- AND I know why -

I'll fix it in a bit, its a security issue due to the location of the Attachments folder.  I will need to think about how I want to do that.

Cool

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Yes - the 'Forkers' were waiting in the wings
Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:13am
Post Tools
And I know all of those IP's

Cool

they_were_waiting-1.png ( 16 KB | 4 Downloads )
they_were_waiting-1.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top