Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Great to see YaBB back online!! (Read 657 times)
ProgMaster
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: Great to see YaBB back online!!
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:34pm
Post Tools
Hi there Jon,

Many thanks for the quick reply. Again, it's great to see YaBBforum back online again.

With regards to boardmod.org, other than being a great resource, a lot of the mods which I was (slowly ...) implementing on my board where obviously hosted there - including the all important download link, comments on problems installing and replies from the mod authors. So, at the time of writing, this has been sadly lost and is currently unavailable ... I sincerely hope that Michael gets his excellent site back up and running very soon as it's sorely missing and something that I'm sure that others rely upon. Even though a lot of the mods hadn't been officially updated to the next release that they were originally coded for, they could usually be implemented manually. And again, having boardmod.org in existence meant that a simple post could be made explaining any difficulties in implementing a historic mod onto a newer release of YaBB and usually, the author would reply, providing essential 'pointers' and the like.

Anyway, I'd personally be more than happy to assist in testing YaBB 2.6. Please let me know the details as and when they become available.

Once more, many thanks to all of the YaBB team for their work - which I hope does not seem a totally thankless task - I have been using YaBB since 2004 (or thereabouts) and will stick with using it for as long as it's available which I hope to be many, many years to come. Smiley

Darran

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:22pm
Post Tools
@ ProgMaster -

I expect that once I have the server issues and tests complete, ff Michael wants to join us, I don't see a problem.

This time around, we are not on a 'provisioned' host farm (like UK2 or Rackspace) with control panels and all that, but on a privately owned dedicated Linux server in a professionally managed IT environment.  What we gain is complete control, what we lose is convenience.  I will probably need to install a few management tools - such as Webmin and/or Virtualmin. I also have to consider user privileges across virtual hosts and servers.  Last year's malware issue here @ vabbforum.com were related inadequate controls and poor practices.  I have multiple Windows and Linux servers running -- BUT -- up to this point they have all been for my own projects and sites.  When they have to be shared with others, there is a lot to think about.

BTW, we are about to test (live) the very new YaBB 2.6 Beta - using a mirror of the data here on YaBBFourm.com, can I interest you???

About the mods for 2.6, most will need re-writes - YabB's guts have been given much-needed reconstructive surgery by Dandello & her team.  So the code is 'new-style' (not OO, but higkly modularized) and we have switched to Perl 'best practices' for nomenclature - (modules are .pm now)  We have also built-in the rudiments of UTF-8 compatibilty

OK, I am winded.  I should have a testing plan ready in a day or two and later today we will begin announcements

Thanks for caring about YaBB  Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

ProgMaster
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:52am
Post Tools
Great to see the forum back online ! Smiley

Is the excellent boardmod.org also due to be back online again any time soon ?

Many thanks.

Darran

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
OK Thanks Elrick

A. I have messaged that guy on FB -

B. We are getting ready to do Live Beta testing with the all New (2.6) YaBB - it is very very cool

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.0
Great to see YaBB back online!!
Feb 26th, 2014 at 6:40pm
Post Tools
Good to see you back JonB! very many thanks for all your efforts and good work.
Some members cannot log in (see it on YaBB Facebook)

~#~

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top