Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic JonB attempting 147 (Read 802 times)
Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
JonB attempting 147
Mar 3rd, 2014 at 1:33pm
Post Tools
JonB attempting 147

And  Ronnie O’Sullivan  making 147  (Full screen is best...)

~*~

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: JonB attempting 147
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 2:13pm
Post Tools
Elrick -

Thanks for posting that. What an amazing run. For me, I haven't played snooker in years. I learned the game while I was in Gibraltar for a while. There used to be a lot more snooker tables here in the U.S., but now they are few and far between.  I do play almost all the different billiard/pool games and am the captain of a team in league.

Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 2:52pm
Post Tools
Jon, if you are as good at pool as you are ‘snookering’ Forkers (even left-handed!!) you are a serious contender for Ronnie!!.  Grin

What!! no snooker tournaments in U.S.??? Shocked

~*~

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 4:10pm
Post Tools
Snooker has never been very popular in the U.S. other than in areas (like big cities) where there are a lot of folks from 'over there'.

The growth of coin-operated pool and fewer 'pool halls/billiards parlors' just exacerbated that trend. The most common games in the U.S. (and the most tournaments) are 'Eight Ball' and 'Nine Ball' by far.  'Speed Pool' has also taken off as of late. Americans are also big on Trick Shots.

Very few Americans play any other pool games.  'Straight Pool' and 'Carom Billiards' both used to be very popular, but both can really only be played in a non-coin operated table because of the nature of the game.  Straight pool relies on bringing up and re-spotting balls, and carom billiards are played on a table with no pockets.  Most Americans would not know the rules of snooker, nor recognize a snooker table with the balls in play.

There are other pool games played but they are limited to pool aficionados/hustlers and 'league players' such as myself; five-ball, cribbage (which really needs an open table - as you have to be able to bring up and spot balls), rotation (numbered balls are played in order), pill-pool/Kelly pool (uses special dice and a shaker - almost only played by gamblers) and some others I have probably forgotten.

Wink

IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
Wow! Didn’t know there were so many types of pool games!!

Surely, you are not ‘Big Jon’ in ‘The Hustler’

What type of pool was Paul Newman playing?

~*~

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:05pm
Post Tools
Elrick -

What they are playing is 'Straight Pool'.
Listen about :00:30 -- Paul Newman calls the 'thirteen' ball right after he calls the 'five' ball -- has to be 'straight pool'. (LOL - he also missed a call in that sequence)

'Straight Pool' is a 'call-shot' game where you can shoot any ball, and you play to an accumulated number of points (often to 50, 100 or 150 points) in order to win.  One point per ball, and when the 15th (last ball) is left, the other 14 balls are re-racked, and play continues. It is usually played with scratched balls re-spotted and scratches deducted from you score. It is usually played on a 9' table.  It's basically a 'race' game, unlike eight-ball.

This is actually the first game I learned to play and was the most common game in the 1950's & 1960's.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=119&pagetype=rules

billiards briefing over - we are singing up beta-testers

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo