Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic We are hot-spared now (being very accurate here). (Read 529 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
We are hot-spared now (being very accurate here).
Mar 9th, 2014 at 7:20pm
Post Tools
What has happened.

In the past 24 hours -- without clobbering our primary server -- I have configured & tested a 'hot spare' server running a complete copy of YaBBforum.com.  (see attached)  The whole thing worked exactly as expected (other than me having to adjust my 'tar' extract syntax once. We used an automated backup from last night, I made a couple of quick changes and ~ voila ~ YaBB was up and running.

It is walled off from the Internet through Apache Directives (they are functional equivalents of .htaccess only for servers) for the time being. No one can access it except on my local Linux network.

HOWEVER - it works perfectly, and in the event of the primary server being down for short term maintenance (more than 1-2 hours), we can show a 'Catch All" errors page.

If we need a repair or major reconfiguration the process is now known and de-bugged.

~ Tada ~
Smiley

Edited:
I also clobbered our new CMS and was able to recover it from a complete meltdown using a container backup Smiley  LOL - ask Dandello how intentional that was...
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2014 at 7:43pm by JonB »  

yabbs-werkin.png (Attachment deleted)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
Forum Moderator
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: We are semi-redundant (being very accurate here).
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2014 at 7:50pm
Post Tools
Excellent work Jon!! Wink ~ So glad you took care of backups Shocked

So no risks of...???

~*~

There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter. ~ Elrick

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: We are now 'hot-spared' (being very accurate here).
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Post Tools
We are now fully redundant (although I do not have a 'badd-ass' enough smart router/switch to fully automate it).

Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2014 at 7:46pm by JonB »  

YAAAAY_.png (Attachment deleted)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo