Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Load Time - reloaded (Read 198 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Load Time - reloaded
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 5:49pm
Post Tools
The way you explain it seems to be what I've experienced as well. The cool thing about people who visit a site often is that caching really helps to load pages much more quickly.

On the other hand, on one of the sites I operate to allow for a main menu to appear on every page without having to update every page, I utilize an iFrame. The thing is, even though that particular site gets updated on a daily basis, the main menu won't show its updated status until the following day (there's probably a setting I don't know about that can correct this).

This isn't a big deal since this is only a problem while using Firefox versus Internet Explorer, the latter of which is evidently still the most widely used of any browser. But with an iFrame, that can be easily updated by using the menu of a mouse to reload it with the latest information. Of course, it's not likely people know how to do this, or if they do, they're not likely to bother with it.

Uh, back to regular programming. Cheesy

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Load Time - reloaded
Mar 11th, 2014 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Bad pun - I know   Tongue

OK, I think I have a working theory on Initial Load times.

For anyone with a 'Position' (particularly on a forum with many boards -- like this one) that first load is going to take some time. I think (even when some boards are collapsed), YaBB enumerates the Category > Board tree completely. It has to evaluate each Board as it goes, and see if there are new posts.

I just created a new user on this forum -- fuggetaboutit -- no hesitation, loaded quick.  It didn't have to evaluate all those boards.

I also think 'after' the first load, there's a caching effect in the browser where the objects are already present.

These theories kinda match my observations and those of others I have seen posted.

'and that is what I think'

Roll Eyes

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top