Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Cloning Experiments, Chapter Two (Read 242 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Cloning Experiments, Chapter Two
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 10:31am
Post Tools
I realized after I patched the beta server, that the 'admin test' would need to be patched as well.  So - now I have a reasonable method of patching only one server and then moving to to the clone (for new beta builds)

And I have sorted out how to 'erase things and start fresh'.  At this point, there is about an hours time needed to clone the Beta.  The 'restart/erase' also has to be done with a manual script, but its very quick.  I plan to only clone beta when we have a new (usually weekly) build.

I also know that the archive managers are way faster than the same  tar scripts (commands) constructed manually. that seems counter-intuitive, but I assure you it is true. I'm unsure how they are optimized, but I suspect a lot of error trapping and output buffering is probably eliminated.

I'll post instructions for using the 'Admin test' server later today. For now it is working...

thanks to everyone who is working on this.

Here is Dandello's revised Admin Center, which you will soon get to test.

Wink

rebuilt-moved-to-test.jpeg (Attachment deleted)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Cloning Experiments, Chapter Two
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 3:32pm
Post Tools
Hello everyone.

The 'Admin testing' clone of beta is actually working now. I have not written cleanup scripts or tested them. But I did get it 'spun up' and took a picture!

LOL - I managed to crash and burn a bunch of times. I had a lot of precautions in place as it is a testing server, and I managed to trip over all my own booby traps, LOL.

I also had a first hand experience with backup/restore errors and their unintended consequences. was decidedly NOT funny at the time (even with a full server backup in hand).

Right now, I'm going to switch it back to 'off', have lunch and write up the roadmap. It is a one click on/off switch, the cleanup needs a think through, and I have had several other happy insights.

Many thanks to everyone who has been working on this  Smiley

Smiley

beta-test.png (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Cloning Experiments, Chapter Two
Mar 14th, 2014 at 8:13pm
Post Tools
I think I have figured out how to avoid messing about with the Beta server - and do the Admin testing on a cloned server. Should be pretty simple, and no need to worry about burning the house to the ground. I am working on it now.

see ya later

:0

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top