Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB's 'Wedge' (Read 546 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: YaBB's 'Wedge'
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 6:59am
Post Tools
Even though I do agree with Elrick that migration to YaBB from other software ought to be included in YaBB's future, because a comprehensive approach is prudent, I think Dandello and Jon are being sensible about prioritizing steps one at a time. And as Jon reminded us, the plan to have "converters/interfaces with other software" is already in the road maps of YaBB's development.

As for waiting, YaBB's present circumstances have it barely out of the ashes of what's turned out to be its wrongly presumed demise. So there's a lot of healing to be done to make YaBB a viable alternative.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 12:15am
Post Tools
Dandello is correct about priorities.

About converters/interfaces with other software, I promise you this is a topic that myself, Dandello, Corey and Loony Pandora have all discussed in the past year.  Its actually in the Road Maps, its the matter of getting YaBB so our whole 'nine yards' is on UTF-8.  You will likely find something to address these issues in YaBB 2.7

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 11:40pm
Post Tools
Nobody is dissing the idea of working on conversion modules - but we don't have a lot of people working on this and frankly, getting YaBB on a good footing code and design wise needs to take priority at this time.

And frankly, I suspect converting from a mySQL system will probably be easier when YaBB has a mySQL system in place.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2014 at 2:34pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Mar 16th, 2014 at 1:14pm:
... facilitating migration from other software ...

I agree. Smiley

At the same, YaBB's previously cliquish management style really needs to remain a shame of the past, i.e., YaBB's current and future management needs to better respect its members, and its participating guests. There's always been a clique of what has amounted to mean spirited reactions to anyone who failed to tow the line of what that clique deemed was improper, or unacceptable.

The sometimes disrespectful atmosphere of attacking others or being snarky to build one's stature in that clique fed upon itself in the worst of ways, and permeated to such a degree that it made people afraid to participate.

Without first recognizing, and then managing this very real fact of the past, YaBB can never be what should have been maintained from the start; a truly user friendly chat and support community without an otherwise lingering bias against anyone who isn't a member of management's inner circle.

So yes, it would be great to get back to having a larger percentage "wedge" of that graphic circle of forum software useage. But that can't happen if the "wedge" of a disrespectful management goes back to its otherwise shameful past.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.0
YaBB's 'Wedge'
Mar 16th, 2014 at 1:14pm
Post Tools
I firmly believe YaBB deserves and merits a larger 'Wedge' in the bulletin software scene and use. One among many pluses is the user-friendly design from both, Admins and users perspectives alike.

YaBB's 'Roadmap' for further development and future ought to include facilitating migration from other software, methinks!!.

~*~

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top