Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) XP ENDS APRIL 8 (Read 5,854 times)
Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
XP ENDS APRIL 8
Mar 17th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Post Tools
Microsoft to end Windows XP support April 8

I have an intense dislike for W7 & W8 and fear I will have to go back to MAC. Angry

THE END IS NIGH!!!

~*~

<div class=

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: XP ENDS APRIL 8
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 8:44pm
Post Tools
Dual boot.  Roll Eyes

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:10pm
Post Tools
JonB says 'Classic Shell'.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Remember 'Mikey' and Life cereal??? (maybe not, LOL)

Classic Shell is good for you!
Tastes Good too...

Try it, you'll like it too...
Cheesy

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
Fedora LXDE spin is very, very XP lIke, also tasty

AND Lightweight too!

Smiley

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:40pm
Post Tools
XP will still be around after April 8, just no new security updates.

Win7 ain't so bad

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:55pm
Post Tools
That Classic Shell looks very cool.  Smiley

As for Mikey, aka John Gilchrist, that was a fun commercial (more info about him here).

As for XP support ending, and disliking new versions as they come out, I think I may have initially disliked all new versions before I ended up liking them (or getting used to them). Not always, but my usual practice is to wait until I buy a new computer or device before I use upgraded software, which as you know, comes with the purchase.

Both my iPod and iPad are now too old for software updates. I only turn on my XP laptop when I want to see if it still works. I haven't really touched an older desktop that has Vista on it. Another desktop I use in our home office has Windows 7, and so does a laptop I currently use.

That isn't to mention what I still have in a storage unit of mine, all but forgotten. Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
Hubby just finished installing Win7 on a partitioned HD and is now dual booting - Win7 for Internet and XP for actually working. (Too many of his programs are VERY old and they haven't been updated to 7 or the updates don't work. And for lots of his software, there simply isn't a Win7 equivalent.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:38pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:07pm:
... for lots of his software, there simply isn't a Win7 equivalent.

I can empathize with that! One of my favorite programs that I pretty much use daily doesn't work with Windows 7, which is on the laptop I use. That particular program no longer provides updates since it's no longer being developed.

But happily to my surprise, the purchase of my new now old laptop included a similar program that turns out to work much better ... after I got acclimated to how it worked.

I'm reminded of my wife's newest cell phone, which she still hates even though its smart phone features are far more advanced than the previous older model flip phone she so loved before. But it's a good thing she doesn't like change.

Otherwise, I'd surely be updated with a husband who has the latest features. Tongue

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:47pm
Post Tools
Win7 doesn't natively support midi sound fonts and doesn't support DVD audio at all. (And when hubby does sound engineering as a hobby, that's a seious lack of support problem.)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:10am
Post Tools
My concession on the main box I use (still have several XP machines like this one) was to install Oracle's VirtualBox.  Then installed XP Pro and a couple on Linux distros I need only for testing.

Works great for me, but virtualization decidedly makes drivers and 3rd party stuff mighty hinky and unlikely to get going if it doesn't 'just work'. That would include some expensive video/audio hardware I paid a pile for, and the software that came with it. They need direct access to hardware level stuff.

I am saying I feel your pain.  Undecided

I still love WIndows 7 as a fast workhorse and 8.1 w/Classic Shell is a freakin' rocket.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:16am by JonB »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:38am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 9:55pm:
I haven't really touched an older desktop that has Vista on it

you really don't want to use that one  Lips Sealed

xp pro is one of my favourite operating systems and it still runs well but it does have it's limitations one of the main reasons for me now running on windows 7 and even though it may look slightly different and some items may be different and not work the same as xp but to me win 7 feels like a updated xp and yes I also did like windows 98 and i mean who can't like when you install of 98 went pear shaped all you did was get your 3.5 fd and the win 98 cd boot the install cd up do a over install of the os restart the pc boot win 98 rerun the update installs and hey presto your pc was fixed and all the software you had installed was still there working now just try doing that on a new os  Angry the only problem i didn't like with 98 was the you are out of resources warning when you did have free ram and cpu  Smiley and sometimes you feel like
as for windows 8 i think the only time i will use that is on a media center pc win 8 I have to say from my experience is good for people that only do facebook and the games there and also do some online shopping and that  the novice user but for all i do on my computers it's just not up to scratch for me.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:47pm:
Win7 doesn't natively support midi sound fonts and doesn't support DVD audio at all. (And when hubby does sound engineering as a hobby, that's a seious lack of support problem.)

try this http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm I have this on almost all my computers in the house.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:52am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

justin90
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:45pm
Post Tools
Its a great system, but they will provide support to next year with I guess. Too many computers working under xp.

I am using 7 but my first computer(that i still have) working in xp and its very good, but.. with money u cant win Smiley

c

IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:31pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 17th, 2014 at 8:44pm:
Dual boot.  Roll Eyes

I think Dandello’s suggestion of ‘Dual Boot! might be an option for me!!.

JonB wrote:
Quote:
Classic Shell is good for you! Tastes Good too... I am saying I feel your pain.

With this feedback Classic Shell begins to sound an attractive perspective for me..

Bill Myers wrote:
Quote:
As for XP support ending, and disliking new versions as they come out, I think I may have initially disliked all new versions before I ended up liking them (or getting used to them).  

I think I will have to bite the bullet and get ‘used to the idea’ of W8.1 or at least  W7 as Ron’s vouches for it!!.

May be my reluctance with 7&8 is a mistake I need to overcome, but…..

justin90 wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:45pm:
Its a great system, but they will provide support to next year with I guess. Too many computers working under xp.

Have you heard anything about this? ..or just rumours about rumours?? ~ ..or just a Forker's comment?

If I go back to Mac I have to be careful now.  Windows people wander the streets in groups. They would stare at me suspiciously, so I won't show any emotions.  I’ll do nothing to let them know I'm not one of them.  If they suspect I'm Mac, they would try to re-absorb me. ~But I don't want to go back. I've found a better life.~

"The problems that face us cannot be solved at the same level of consciousness that created them. What we need is a shift in consciousness." ~ Albert Einstein

~*~

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:43pm by Elrick. »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:03pm
Post Tools
justin90 wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 12:45pm:

The support will be for Windows Defender but there won't be anymore security updates unless someone (like former XP programmers) adopts XP to keep it current.

There're lots and lots of companies using XP that simply cannot move to Win7 because the drivers for their non-standard computer controled devices do not exist or the devices need 16bit/non-USB/non-supported  by Win7 output. What they will be doing is using a Win7/8 machine to interface with the outside world, then communicate to the rest of the network through a firewall. OR they will be converting to Linux and hiring someone to write drivers and device interfaces for them.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:20pm
Post Tools
Elrick. wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:31pm:
I think I will have to bite the bullet and get ‘used to the idea’ of W8.1

Just remember, all of us will have to bite the bullet with new versions over time. Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top