Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gmail Account Tip for Testers (Read 458 times)
RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Gmail Account Tip for Testers
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 12:11am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 at 11:51pm:
RonS2 wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 at 7:10pm:
But then I only use the preview before I send a post to double check myself. 

Then there is no delay. No wonder you haven't noticed it. Cheesy

My point exactly  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 11:51pm
Post Tools
Jon, thanks for looking into fixing this problem. It's appreciated.

As to Ron's question about how this relates to Gmail account tips, it doesn't. Jon was simply kind enough to address the Preview delay when I made mention of it in this message that does relate to Gmail accounts.

Yes, Jon is more than capable of answering questions when a topic inadvertently gets split ... patting his head, and rubbing his stomach at the same time, and he doesn't freak out over the complication of it.

At the risk of splitting this topic even more, I've sometimes wondered if the "Move/Split/Splice" feature can still be effectively used when a topic includes another subject. Not a clean splice since entire posts need to be moved, but when "Leave the original Posts" option is utilized, and I guess an edit is made to explain the split (or not).

Edited:
RonS2 wrote on Jul 15th, 2014 at 7:10pm:
But then I only use the preview before I send a post to double check myself.

Then there is no delay. No wonder you haven't noticed it. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2014 at 11:55pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 7:10pm
Post Tools
For what is worth the delay is hardly noticeable on my end. But then I only use the preview before I send a post to double check myself.

From past experience this might be a PEBCAK problem.

BTW, what does all this have to do with the gmail tip?

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 7:05pm
Post Tools
Bill

Thanks for your input.

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
Jon, since you know the cause of why Preview is having its delay, can you please do your best to fix it? Surely with your expertise you can solve this problem.

As for contributing funds for a server upgrade, the better contribution is to advise YaBB's management to seek a more reasonable, and sensible approach. Particularly for an open source project that is presumably worthy of being fully supported, i.e., not simply operated by one person who dictates how operations will be, there are other ways to fund YaBB that doesn't require personal donations.

But first, YaBB's management needs to get its house in order for that kind of funding to be warranted. As it is now, any money contributed to a personal endeavor would be money down the drain, and a poor investment. After all, there's no actual business plan in place that is appropriate for an open source project.

Bottom line: YaBB can be operated at virtually no cost until the use of a server is donated, if it ever is again, which is a reasonable presumption. Its website can pretty much exist anywhere.

There was a point not very long ago when YaBB had in effect shuttered its operations. The owner of its domain was absentee, and so too was its one and only working admin. Not just for a day or two, or a few weeks, but for months.

Fortunately, one person saved the day all on their own by creating another website, and then others followed. Had this domain's owner not resurfaced, albeit in private, and had its admin not returned, YaBB's operations would have nonetheless continued in a way that would have made YaBB's public at large proud. It would have survived.

Thankfully, this continuation of YaBB elsewhere didn't need to be fully implemented as its operations here became active again. There is a great opportunity for YaBB to shine once again as it should, and I'm hopeful its resurgence can be done in a proper way this time.

A funding source would be nice, but again, it's not actually needed. The greater need is good leadership, which I believe it has despite a few hiccups here and there. That alone will be YaBB's salvation.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Post Tools
A. I think that says our ISP is doing a cabling upgrade. However, when I ask for contributions for a server upgrade (very soon) I'll be pleased to count on Bill Myers.  Wink

B. I never intimated that you weren't having an issue with "Preview", all I ever said is "I know the cause exactly" (which I do). 

Cool
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2014 at 2:08pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 12:41am
Post Tools
Okay, I'll simply presume that I'm the only one experiencing a delay is this forum's Preview feature. Roll Eyes

I'll entertain that possibility even though you won't afford me the same courtesy. Smiley

Presuming that there is a hiccup with Preview in this forum, then I hope the upgrades you plan for the server will take care if it. Wink

Quote:
Our ISP is doing cabling upgrade

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2014 at 12:42am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 10:30pm
Post Tools
Bill -

It is what it is, kinda like you said. I'm not going to debate it, as I absolutely know the cause and have the 'evidence' in the form of server process tracking.

The one thing I would point out to you is that you seem to be the only one who experiences this on this forum (AFAIK).  I just used preview (I'm on a laptop using a restaurant's wi-fi) and almost zero latency.

Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 10:08pm
Post Tools
Thanks Jon.

All I can tell you is that your server appears to operate very slowly compared to other servers that operate YaBB. With the exception of Carsten's server, which also sometimes operates slowly, Preview has updated instantly as it should when I've used other YaBB forums.

For instance, in Dandello's yabbforumsoftware.com forum I've yet to have Preview delay itself while I'm authoring a post, and I think she's using a virtual server versus the dedicated server you're using.

Even as I author this relatively simple message, the Preview function is hanging up. Here in this forum I get around it by authoring a post in my own forum, and then copying/pasting it here.

In any case, please don't get mad at the messenger here as I third person myself. It is what it is, which is something that you might want to address. If it's any consolation, the slowness of Preview may be YaBB related with this particular 2.6 forum, and not related to your server, which may very well be operating perfectly fine.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2014 at 8:46pm
Post Tools
Bill

I have done the research-

The 'Preview' problem you refer to is 100% a function of extended editing sessions and the 'ajxmessage' action, which sends a stream of constant requests (2 to 3 requests/sec) to the server.  This leads to the server becoming processor/CPU bound (over-utilized). This type of process was the underlying issue with 'Zero vars' files as well.

Dandello and I are considering what a possible fix might be.  Javascript has deferred triggers, and that might be a solution. 

Thanks very much
Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2014 at 8:47pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 4:41pm
Post Tools
Google is also great for syncing one's devices such as being able to update a calendar or contacts on any device, and have all of one's devices show that update.

As for Gmail, I still love using it in addition to Hotmail and Yahoo with the exception that Gmail's free version has a limited amount of space (15 GB). This limited amount of space is probably fine for most people, I'm guessing, but for a power user like me, it's very little space. Still, it's good to have the last 15 GB of my most recent emails backed up with Gmail. That's in addition to backups with Hotmail at this time, and of course full backups locally.

In truth, no service can actually provide you with an unlimited amount of storage no matter what is claimed. I don't use Yahoo enough to know, but at least with Hotmail's supposed unlimited storage, automated messages will notify you that you're account is growing too fast by their standards. I actually appreciate that notice, however, because it reminds me to get rid of all the junk email that I've collected, or email that I otherwise don't mind losing.

I sure do wish Jon's server allowed for Preview to update itself properly ... simply too slow sometimes ... unless it's an issue with YaBB, which I suppose could be the case when a forum's data gets to be a certain size. If this is the case, I dread the day when our forum grows to the point that YaBB can no longer operate properly. But maybe by then, members and messages will be contained within a database, which I've been made to think is more efficient.

As for Google, it still amazes me that they can handle so much data so efficiently. Cool

IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:54pm:
I tested it on the YaBB Beta server and it works fine.

proof of pudding test below:
Wink

Yeap, the proof of the eating is in the pudding... It works a treat!! Wink

Brilliant stroke of creativity JonB!! Shocked ~ No doubt due to the Absinthe you pour in your beer.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

~*~

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:13pm
Post Tools
Yeah, among other very convenient email options, I love Google for that, not to mention other conveniences Google offers.

A couple of conveniences is utilizing a Gmail account as a backup of messages, and contacts. It's kind of like having a cloud feature in case your local data is compromised.

I'm somewhat worried about using Google for all that I do, but on the other hand, again, it's really only used as a backup despite the fact that I regularly front load it for its conveniences.

Edited:
By the way, if you use Google as I do for its backup features, you can do much of the same with Yahoo, and Hotmail.

Use them all! Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014 at 2:15pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Gmail Account Tip for Testers
Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:54pm
Post Tools
Here's something I stumbled across quite accidentally.

I knew Gmail did not support aliases like Yahoo has. BUT they have a cool trick of their own: 'plus addresses'.  You add "+aliasname" to any of your current g-mail addresses and the mail for that account will go to the Inbox of your gmail account. Mine was 'jonbserverg**k+beta@gmail.com'
I tested it on the YaBB Beta server and it works fine.

Thanks Google! I found the tip here: (I 'Googled' for it actually, hehehe)  Grin
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/12096?hl=en

proof of pudding test below:
Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014 at 1:57pm by JonB »  

gmail_tip.png (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top