Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Non-bug - ex-member 'xpgu' on beta.yabbforum.com/community (Read 803 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Non-bug - ex-member 'xpgu' on beta.yabbforum.com/community
Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:10am
Post Tools
Ron--S2
Global Moderator

Quote:
I noticed xpgu is an ex-member and can't help but wondering if this is the same problem I'm having on my forum?

HA! - got it! (Insert Snoopy Happy Dance)  Tongue

It was caused by a problem with AdvancedSettings very early on in Live-Beta Testing (Dandello & JonB only live testing)

Synopsis of the Detective Work:

Locate Data in both sets
Compare beta to yabbforum
Discover why molina2000 is 'ex-member' (the usual reason) a zero-byte .vars file
Note the timestamp of event
Look in server error log for that time - Boom CGI timeout!
Look in access log to see what script commands were being given Wink and by whom  Cool
Mystery Solved
Roll Eyes

Selected Highlights -
Code
Select All
--------------- Data Arrived in Beta Sever OK -----------
[root@localhost logs]# cd /media/Clonezilla/xeon_offloads/yabbforum.convert/server/data/forumdata
[root@localhost forumdata]# ls -l ./members/molina2000.*
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root  174 Feb  4 22:55 ./members/molina2000.ims
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root  373 Feb  9 04:47 ./members/molina2000.log
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root  173 Nov  5 23:36 ./members/molina2000.msg
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root  168 Feb  9 04:43 ./members/molina2000.rlog
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root 1218 Feb  9 04:47 ./members/molina2000.vars
[root@localhost forumdata]#
----------------- Current State of Data ------------------------------------------
[root@localhost Members]# ls -l molina2000.*
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root 174 Feb 25 16:45 molina2000.ims
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root 373 Feb 25 16:45 molina2000.log
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root 173 Feb 25 16:45 molina2000.msg
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root 168 Feb 25 16:45 molina2000.rlog
-rw-r--r--. 1 nobody root   0 Feb 27 19:00 molina2000.vars <--- Clobbered right here ----
[root@localhost Members]# pwd
/opt/yabbforum.beta/server/cgi-bin/community/Members
[root@localhost Members]#

------- Found the event in the Apache Server log-----------------------
------- Data got clobbered probably by a failed 'fixing' of Advanced Settings --------
[Thu Feb 27 19:00:17 2014] [warn] [client 70.88.58.12] Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /opt/yabbforum.beta/server/cgi-bin/community/AdminIndex.pl, referer:$
[Thu Feb 27 19:00:18 2014] [error] [client 70.88.58.12] Script timed out before returning headers: AdminIndex.pl, referer: http://beta.yabbforum.com/cgi-bin/community$

------------- Apache Access Log Tells 'The Rest of the Story' ---------------
------------- I wanted to add two fields to the Extended Profile - it was impossible to tell what had been
------------- done. The server was actually reading through the members and removing the YaBB version profile field
------------- molina2000 was probably the record it was on when it timed out....................

70.88.58.12 - - [27/Feb/2014:18:55:34 +0000] "POST /cgi-bin/community/AdminIndex.pl?action=ext_edit HTTP/1.1" 504 317 "http://beta.yabbforum.com/cgi-bin/community/AdminIndex.pl?action=ext_admin" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.117 Safari/537.36"

------- The server 'exploded' 5 minutes later (the default CGI timeout)
---------------------------- End of Story ------------------

Smiley

The full pertinent stuff is attached.

Wink

Original Solution Post:
http://beta.yabbforum.com/cgi-bin/community/YaBB.pl?num=1395265784/2#2

found_it.txt (Attachment deleted)

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Re: Non-bug - ex-member 'xpgu' on beta.yabbforum.com/community
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:17pm
Post Tools
Excellent.

All this is over my head, but it looks to me to be a server issue.

How do I explain this to my Host provider so he can make the correction so my site can stop having this problem?

@Jon Also, See PM

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
OK -

A. What happened here is related to your problem, but has an entirely different cause - CODE

What we had on beta.yabbforum.com was related to a real CODE problem.  Our BETA CODE caused the server to timeout on the script running the update of the members variables files while it was processing molina2000.vars, thus his variables file could not be written back.

In most cases, this would not have happened - but in this very early Beta code there was no provision made for different elements in the Extended Profiles Settings to be saved or update separately, AND the screen did not refresh - so there was no way to know what it was doing, literally.

Result - we had a 'kaboom' whose cause was 'Code'.

B. What happens with 'Stable Code' - (your case)

Almost always caused by the server hiccuping when a member is logging in, posting or changing something in the profile - those are pretty much the only times the .vars file is open.

Could be something causes the server to literally crash - it does not have to be YaBB. Could be the host has to run an Apache restart, doesn't take long but if a login or post has started, you are likely toast. The data will never be written back out to disk, the file handle will expire and the file will be a 'zero-byte' file.

You probably need about 4-6 file handles + 1 MB RAM per active user, plus (for VPS calculations) a minimum server overhead of 256MB for the Linux OS, control panel, SMTP/POP etc.

It can also be that you run into an imposed limit on your hosting account, here's some guidance on what to look for:

What typically happens on hosted servers:

Shared hosting - your 'virtual host' on the server is on a machine with many other websites. The host has set a series of controls to throttle things a bit. These are typically 'memory allocated' - how much of the pooled memory your website-machine can use, 'processor share' - a similar constraint on how much horsepower, and for larger boards another one - 'max filehandles' how many files you can have open at a time. a very active large YaBB board can run into this one.

Virtual Private Severs -
There are only a few potential limits you should hit. One is memory allocated. Virtual Machines do not pool memory, they get a 'definite' amount (often 'guaranteed') and sometimes 'burstable' (temporarily allocated) RAM. This is much more like a PC, you start getting on those limits, and the server starts caching everything to disk. Sllllooooowwww. An active YABB probably should not be run on a server with less than 512MB minimum RAM.

Other Host related bugaboos-

Spiky Traffic, some hosts have bandwidth limits. although they talk about total bandwidth, they usually are monitoring your average consumption/daily.

IF you have a managed VPS, none of these things should happen. Un-managed VPS's are strictly for real experts. I have had to self-manage and it is not real pretty. (usually because I was called in to fix a cluster-crappity-smack-up LOL.)

Thus - same result a zero-byte vars file - two different likely causes; Code vs. Host glitch

You should start a General Support topic, outlining what kind of plan, how often, who the host is, what the host has said/done etc.

Good Luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:08pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:59pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:02pm:
You should start a General Support topic, outlining what kind of plan, how often, who the host is, what the host has said/done etc.

Thanks Jon
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1395341630/0#0

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top