Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Zero-Byte .vars File (Read 3,570 times)
RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Re: Zero-Byte .vars File
Reply #29 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 1:33am
Post Tools
I created a member then worked on with sending me a PM. The vars file lost its contents when I refreshed the page. I had to work at it using a lot of tags and editing before it finally zeroed out.

I left the file in the folder and asked him if he can track down the event.

Lets see how it plays out.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #28 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:15pm
Post Tools
RonS2 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:40pm:
Upside, My host provider seems really willing to work on this. Anything I can suggest for him to look at?

Yes, they should look for events in the lite-speed error log that have roughly the same timestamp as the zero-byte vars file. (that's why I wanted to save them - you have to re-create them to get the member back up and the timestamp data is lost.)  No way to look for patterns if you don't have a few samples, the time range should probably be +- 5 minutes of the timestamp .

Some event occurred that prevented YaBB from updating the senders .vars file when the operation completed. Could be the filesystem automatically closed the file, could be the session for InstantMessage.pl failed or ran on, the you would probably have a Perl session that timed out.

The access log can show you the actual time the deed was done as it has to create the actions script URL.

It might be valuable to know if the problematic PM's were sent from within the User Control Panel, or off a Topic that was being displayed.  Also if the 'sent message' made it to the recipients mailbox.

Good Luck

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #27 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:12pm
Post Tools
That's another thing I like about Stablehost. I can call in a problem and talk to someone in Mesa, AZ. Although most the times I prefer using their website since I'm running around doing a couple of dozen things at a time. I'm not tied to one location and can reread something if I don't understand it or use it later when I need help on something similar.

(Check my IPs you'll see I move around)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #26 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:48pm
Post Tools
RonS2 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:04pm:
I upped the speed post wait time to 10 and that helped a little. My thinking was to give the server/software time to do what it needed to do.

I think that is very close to the root cause. And that was why I asked about FastCGI. 

Perl is NOT like PHP, Perl is a program that executes independently on the server, that's what CGI does. CGI is for Common Gateway Interface, and its a technology that allows webusers to actaully run a program on the host computer. That program is the Perl executable - on Windows it's perl.exe, Linux just 'perl'. YaBB is a script, NOT a program. Perl executes separately from the webserver (whether its Apache, IIS or something else). They are aynschronous events, one initiated the other, but after that the Perl is going to run on, even if the connection to the client is lost, that's what a 504 CGI Gateway error is. When either side works way too fast or way too slow - KABOOM!  The default gateway time-out is 5 minutes, and that is why the Backup Scripts some times explode if the page does not have a way of refreshing the URL.

BTW - I noticed HostColor is advertising Perl 5.8, you might want to check with both them and Dandello on that.  I have in my notes that we ask for Perl 5.10.

I have more suggestions on hosts quite likely, I need to review some things. All I located were the top 3 responses and the recommendations draft.

Here's one that was also way up in the running, their price has come down and is now very competitive:
www.rosehosting.com

HostColor is an operation you can call and ask questions answered by an English speaking geek.

Good Luck

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #25 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:40pm
Post Tools
Upside, My host provider seems really willing to work on this. Anything I can suggest for him to look at?

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #24 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:04pm
Post Tools
Thanks Jon

I've noticed that 98% of the times when a vars file goes bad is when the member (including myself) sends a PM.

I upped the speed post wait time to 10 and that helped a little. My thinking was to give the server/software time to do what it needed to do.

Edited:
JonB wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:34pm:

Hostgator lost any good reputation it had

Edited:
At a glance hostcolor seems to be in the ball park
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:20pm by RonS2 »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #23 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:34pm
Post Tools
RonS2 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:07pm:
JonB wrote Today at 4:27pm:
Ask them if Lite-Speed uses an adaptation of FastCGI....

They don't use FastCGI

It appears that is accurate, it also appears Lite-Speed has its own CGI daemon. That makes sense as Lite-Speed is really an apache-compatible webserver.

This is in the realm of 'Who knows'?

I will see if I can find the stuff I did for the client, and any other stuff I have on hosts that I KNOW work right.  Note in my research I was looking for a VPS, as I needed to host at least 4 server instances (aka virtual hosts or vhosts)

Edited:
found it - the other two I rated best -

www.hostcolor.com
www.hostgator.com

These guys below used to offer free trials for YaBB Forums - and they are a member here..

http://www.webme.co.uk/web-hosting/

there is also this board here -
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=mods_admins

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:01pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:12pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:22pm:
Secure Site is still flagging my SSL certificate on yabbforum.com - probably because it's self-signed.

Can you say 'BINGO"? (most likely)

AND I totally agree with Dandello on the value proposition offered by KnownHost. We arrived there separately (I am on KnownHost for client sites - I host everything of mine on my 'private fleet' LOL)

I arrived there after my biggest client has chosen a large multinational European hosting company and selected an 'unmanaged VPS' - cheap, you betcha, Support - zero.nada.zip. $Un-managed-VPS == UROYFO; I had to make everything work myself and install a control panel (webmin) because they had cluster-forked Plesk. 

The client subsequently paid me to develop a questionnaire for prospective hosting companies.  I started with 20+, and only 3 made it to the final cut - one was KnownHost, and of the final 3 - they had the best price. The only slight negative (at that time) was they only work from support tickets. I like to talk to engineers/support peeps so I can jump through the hoops faster.  BUT, I now feel differently. Known Host and a software company I have a lot of installs of both only work from tickets - still its not a problem as their staff is ALL 'dead-on-it'.

We chose Plesk as that was what the client had learned on Amen.es, and they use FTP to manage posting content for their for their four YaBB forums. KnownHost even built me a custom OS rebuild with my choice of PHP, Apache, MySQL and Perl version so I could 'dead-on' match my development systems. They run Centos I think. I run Fedora - but the same kernel. Centos is the free RHEL derivative for servers.

BTW, I think KnownHost offers Plesk, cPanel, DirectAdmin and Webmin (sorta get what you know) on theirs VPS's.

KnownHost also migrated us free-of-charge almost flawlessly. Most provisioning systems have porting utilities. We were a Plesk to Plesk port, easy-peasy

Outstanding host, based on extensive personal experience.

Smiley

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:27pm:

They don't use FastCGI

Dandello wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:22pm:
As some one who went to a VPS because it actually cost less than multiple shared hosting accounts on a different service - a managed VPS account on someplace like Knownhost isn't as scary as it sounds.

Knownhost was the company I tried.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #20 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:22pm
Post Tools
As some one who went to a VPS because it actually cost less than multiple shared hosting accounts on a different service - a managed VPS account on someplace like Knownhost isn't as scary as it sounds.

I've been with them for a couple years now and I still get lost in the root manager section and I admit I have little idea what the cron reports are telling me except to do something when it tells me there's an error because something needs to be updated. (I actually managed to tell it to update Apache and mySQL without opening a support ticket - or trashing the server.  Shocked)

I'm using cPanel for 'site' management and that's pretty straight forward. (I'm sure Plesk is too.)

Today's chore is figuring out why Secure Site is still flagging my SSL certificate on yabbforum.com - probably because it's self-signed.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:56pm
Post Tools
Remember my line earlier on - Unlimited Everything also means Free Unlimited Crap - the implication is that someone's fibbing, as any good engineer can tell you 'absent God or Hyper-inflation, there is no such thing as Unlimited anything'.

I'm well aware of that marketing ploy, with the exception of unlimited emails everything else on the plan I'm on has its limits spelled out.

The problem as I see it is ALL host provider are, for the most part, the same. I opted for this company because they seemed responsive with answers. I have no idea how to run a VPS, managed or not, so I didn't head that way even after trying out one company that was recommended to me by someone I trust.

I download a month's worth of logs then did a search within the 560meg file for .vars and it only showed up once. I'm thinking the log is useless.

and ask about the error logs

Will do and I'll see if I can get better logs.

Thanks for your expertise Jon

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
RonS2 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:53pm:
So short of moving to another server that uses Apache I'm toast?

Not necessarily --

I have in the back of my brain that what is wrong is the same problem many CGI apps have on 'speed-optimized' webservers. Its long and complicated to explain  - but we might be able to get a confirming answer (and thus maybe a fix or say 'yep - you are burned to a crisp')

and ask about the error logs

thanks and good luck
Wink

And I will also say Apache is not a cure-all, it has just as much to do with server density/resource allocation and how the host configures everything. I have a client who is on Apache with a hosting outfit who won't give their clients true root access on a VPS (like WTF? is that poop?)

But he is the one with the relationship and it would cost big buckos to move. Net result, guess what - zero-byte .vars files... I

Remember my line earlier on - Unlimited Everything also means Free Unlimited Crap - the implication is that someone's fibbing, as any good engineer can tell you 'absent God or Hyper-inflation, there is no such thing as Unlimited anything'. 
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:53pm
Post Tools
So short of moving to another server that uses Apache I'm toast?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:52pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:18pm:
To me that says - YaBB code is very very stable on properly configured and maintained servers.

"The proof is in the pudding." Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #15 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:18pm
Post Tools
I don't want this to get buried in an 'informational post'.

To my best recollection, since we have migrated from SourceForge (where our problem was network files locks) to UK2 and now my equipment, I have not had to repair any zero-byte .vars files other than that single beta-code-related incident.  Nor have I had to fix that problem on any of the YaBB forums I host or maintain in many years. I literally cannot recall doing it, and there is no one else who could do it.

To me that says - YaBB code is very very stable on properly configured and maintained servers.

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top