Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic What's Coming Next (Read 1,328 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
What's Coming Next
Apr 6th, 2014 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
A. One day this week (as yet to be determined) yabbforum.com will be moved over to YaBB 2.6.  It will be a 100% true YaBB 2.6 forum. (WYSIWYDL)

B. (Very Likely) At the same time on YaBBForum.com -
  • 1. A major revision of the YaBB website and its .htacess/Aliases to map everything to a new simplified folder tree.

2. The YaBB Communicator will become our 'Front Page'.  Although it is powered by Wordpress, it will be in CMS mode. That translated means 'easy to update' and 'flexible' - not 'Its a Blog'. (although it will have a 'News' Page for announcements etc).

3. We will likely soon begin a 'New Codex' - built on CMS technology.  The old YaBB Codex will be archived.

C. On a date to be announced, we will post the final 2.6.0 release on YabbForum.com and to SourceForge in .zip and .tar.gz formats.

D. This 'live' beta testing was a very good experience. We will be working on a way to use these beta servers and the lessons learned to have a continuous testing/development cycle. There are some very real provisioning challenges involved.

E. Development - Everyone who worked on 2.6 and its testing is to be greatly thanked.  This is easily the biggest step in YaBB's evolution since 2.1 and 2.4.

• 1. Last year, I had thought about adding developers, but the truth is YaBB was at a critical stage and only people who already had an understanding of its 'guts' stood a chance of succeeding. No matter what you knew of Perl or AJAX. the learning curve was just too big. YaBB is really a framework, frameworks are known for steep/deep learning curves. Nothing is easily apparent it you haven't used it before. 

2. Now we have a very clean, updated code-base, a fresh new UI, and a Major Revision ready to be released.  Dandello and I have discussed a variety of challenges and which can likely be tackled by 'new to YaBB' developers.  We will be reviewing the YaBB Roadmaps and updating them based on our experiences. 

3. That review and restatement will result in a "Call for Developers/Programmers" with a fairly specific challenge/tasks/skill document to work from. We already have some candidates (and we have gotten some good ideas/advice already).

4. We are starting that "How YaBB Really Works" to add to our Development Standards and Roadmaps.

Many other new ideas and opportunities exist, we will continue to work on them and seek feedback.

Many thanks to everyone for supporting YaBB
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: What's Coming Next
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 2:08pm
Post Tools
Update -

Dandello has created an improved Server Time/Local Time/DST-ST interface for both the Admin Center and User Control Panel. This is a complete re-write and permanently fixes the problems with local display time vs. server time in YaBB. 

We were previously going to disable this feature for YaBB 2.6, pending a patch/fix for out broken code.  However, she subsequently found a series of CPAN modules that address the issue comprehensively, including the political considerations of changing start/end dates for 'DST' and 'Summer Time' or permanently invoking or removing DST/ST.  This is done by the inclusion of the underlying IANA/Olson TZ tables universally used in software directly in the Perl libraries.

As we have a good fix, we are going to delay the conversion of YaBBForum.com & version 2.6 general release for about a week.

Thanks
Wink

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: What's Coming Next
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 2:45pm
Post Tools
I am doing a full 'code-swap' on the Beta forums using the latest snapshot of SVN.

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top