Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic CloudFlare (Read 902 times)
freediver

Re: CloudFlare
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 10:39am
Post Tools
Thanks for the tips on cloudflare. Sounds like my best strategy is to block IP addresses. Question is, how do I avoid blocking legitimate search engines? Many of my site pages - even the forum - top the google results, so I am happy to support the search bots. I also don't think it would be adequate to block the baddies one by one after they crash something on my site (I still haven't gotten round to blocking this particular one). This sounds like the sort of thing I should be able to get done via a plugin service.

Does anyone know if cloudflare works with YaBB, without introducing latency on the forum? Or is it just overkill?

Yes I have discussed my host many times here on YaBB. When I started out I used cheap ($5) shared hosting. They kept going broke or deciding I wasn't part of their core business, so I settled on hostgator, which was twice as much ($10) but didn't screw me over and seemed to offer good technical service, so I stuck with them.

Not sure if it is their marketing strategy, but when it came time to upgrade to VPS, they kept screwing around and trying to get me to fiddle with the edges. I don't really have the time or knowledge to optimise site performance. As far as I know I can get the same service for half the price, but if I am going to have the same problems I had with the $5 vs $10 option, I am happy to stick with the expensive one. The google ads I run pay the hosting costs anyway. I work full time, not in IT, and only do this as a hobby, and am out of my depth on the server issues.

Now I get the feeling that hostgator are giving me stock answers to difficult technical questions that do not necessarily apply to me, which I suspect they were doing when I initially ran into trouble that required the upgrade to VPS. Should $110 a month cover some IT guys in India to take a proper look and give good advice? Not sure. The feedback I have gotten here on YaBB is that hostgator is doing a good job in this regard.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2014 at 10:40am by freediver »  

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 10:06pm
Post Tools
CloudFlare is basically what RonS2 says - its a page proxy.  Technically its a CDN - Content Delivery Network (and likely to cost $)  Think Akamai. Its a bit more sophisticated than it appears at the surface, as it only refreshes 'local caches' as needed. It is different from a single-stage proxy as it's a proxy network. One of its advantages is it removes latency as the content is closer to the end-user. We are talking tiny amounts of difference, but they make a difference on popular or spiky sites or when your traffic is global. You may also hear these referred to as 'edge networks'. I can't honestly imagine why you should need one.

It's not really a static proxy, they are quite sophisticated - you can stream on many of them (a typical use actually. as multimedia streams are very subject to jitter and latency)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

I'd start by just blocking the range the IP belongs to.

You might also want so look at the access logs.

Didn't i recall you had a love/hate relationship with your host?

Edited:
WHOA - you may $110/month?  Pullleeze that oughta hold up a skyscraper.

Good Luck
Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014 at 10:16pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Elrick.
YaBB Moderators
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 8:40pm
Post Tools
As Rons mentions, it would be good for you to ban that IP. It's been reported 921 times on that toxic IP alone (uses many others). a Trickster, hacker and spammer... belongs to OVH SAS cloud hosting and is flooding all ports on server all over the internet forums and blogs. You would be well advised to ban/block their IP range 37.187.0.0/16 via your htaccess file. I have on all my forums.

~*~

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014 at 9:18pm by Elrick. »  

~ Elrick ~
There is no direct experience of reality without interpretation; and all interpretation is corrupted by the cultural and personal prejudices or prejudgments of the interpreter.

IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Post Tools
I guess it won't hurt banning that IP for the short term. Can't you do it yourself with the .htaccess file? This way after a time you can allow the IP again.

As to one IP crawling 200 pages at a time, MSBOT does more than that to me everyday. Then there are a dozen others crawling around my site.

I'm not an expert on CloudFlare and I've heard various stories as to what it does so I've avoided it until I learn more. If I had to guess... and take this with a grain of salt... I think CloudFlare sends a cached version instead of the most recent version of a web page. If this is the case it would be alright for static pages but not an active forum. (Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?)
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2014 at 8:27pm by RonS2 »  

ScreenHunter_01_Apr__14__2014_16_08.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

freediver

CloudFlare
Apr 14th, 2014 at 9:45am
Post Tools
Hostgator has recommended this to me:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us!

We looked at the sys-snappy logs again and it appears that most of these requests were due to this IP address -- 37.187.142.194

It looks like it was crawling over two hundred of your YaBB pages, and caused this load condition. We can block this IP address in the firewall if you'd like.

You may want to consider using CloudFlare to automatically block these sorts of bots. Their full-featured version of CloudFlare has an "attack mode" where it checks if the visitor is a human or bot. This differs from the cPanel plugin version of CloudFlare. The full-featured version can be signed up for using their website -- cloudflare.com

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thank you,

The 'incident' was the database service stopping and my phpbb forum going offline because of these requests to my YaBB forum.

Has anyone used cloudflare? Is it any good? I don't really understand how it works.

My site seems to have more problems than it's size would suggest, perhaps because there is a lot of politically controversial content. I am not sure whether this was merely the "straw that broke the camel's back" or a serious DDOS attempt. I am on a mid level VPS for $110 a month.

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top