Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CGI application not returning complete set of HTTP headers (Read 1,253 times)
7feet
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
CGI application not returning complete set of HTTP headers
Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
Help!

Our website is returning the below message when we try to access our Forum boards and we don't know how to fix this.  
Error message when accessing Forums
CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

We are running YABB 2.1.

Our website name is westernbassclub.com, we are fisherman and need some help getting our website running again.  

Can someone that speaks YABB give us some advise on how to fix this issue?  

Any help would be appreciated.

Karl Kramer at Western Bass Club

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Re: CGI application not returning complete set of HTTP headers
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Post Tools
I get the feeling your host changed something on the server. Have you contacted them?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
Ron's right - if it was working last week and suddenly stopped working (without you having made any changes) then something has changed on the server - maybe they upgraded Perl (2.1 has some code in it that would make it not run under the newest version of Perl), changed or removed a necessary Perl Module, changed permissions/ownership for the items in the cgi-bin. (Because all that error is really saying is 'something stopped this application from running and I (the server) have no clue what happened'.)

Check with your host and ask what changed on their end.

Edited:
I have seen this happen a lot when hosting services change ownership or get a new team of IT people - the new guys start to revamp things into oblivion. That's happened to me more than once. I had one that actually disabled Perl and turned off the cgi-bin without telling anybody.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:09pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:09pm
Post Tools
7feet wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:34pm:
CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

Edited:
To be specific for YaBB, this problem is evidently caused by a corrupt file in the Variables or Sources directory. See the following page for a more detailed explanation:

http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1217258635

If you have a recent backup of those two directories, maybe you can try uploading those files to the server.

Then again, like Dandello mentioned, permissions may have been changed, which is something you should check first.

Or ...

Evidently you're on a Window machine, right? If so, the supposed solution is to change your PHP settings to run as ISAPI / Fast CGI in windows hosting. Or so I've read. By the way, php has nothing to do with YaBB itself, so this is an issue your host needs to resolve for you unless you have access to do it yourself.

The following page may help them if they need it: https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25863

As I understand it, this error happens on fast computers, and occurs when PHP returns data faster than IIS is expecting it, and IIS chokes. This is an issue when running anything as a CGI.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:24pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 10:49pm
Post Tools
7feet wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:34pm:

this is as Dandello wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:04pm:
(2.1 has some code in it that would make it not run under the newest version of Perl)

this will happen on YaBB 2.5AE and down updating to YaBB 2.5.2 will fix this for you.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:09pm:
Evidently you're on a Window machine, right? If so, the supposed solution is to change your PHP settings to run as ISAPI / Fast CGI in windows hosting. Or so I've read. By the way, php has nothing to do with YaBB itself, so this is an issue your host needs to resolve for you unless you have access to do it yourself.

Sorry Bill as you will see in the links This is my IIS test server php is not installed on it and running ActivePerl 5.16.2 Build 1602

YaBB 2.5AE forum error here http://test.cyberwebs-wd.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb25AE/YaBB.pl

and YaBB 2.5.2 working on same server http://test.cyberwebs-wd.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:50pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 10:49pm:
Sorry Bill as you will see in the links This is my IIS test server php is not installed on it and running ActivePerl 5.16.2 Build 1602

YaBB 2.5AE forum error here http://test.cyberwebs-wd.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb25AE/YaBB.pl

Right. PHP isn't installed on your server. If it was, then a reported solution is to change your PHP settings to run as ISAPI / Fast CGI in windows hosting.

I'm just the messenger here. Wink

In any case, that's why I edited my post to be more specific for YaBB. That's to say, this problem is evidently caused by a corrupt file in the Variables or Sources directory. It could also be a permissions issue as Dandello mentioned.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:01am
Post Tools
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.

In 2.5.0 Subs.pl find
Code (Perl)
Select All
	return if defined %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log"; 

replace with
Code (Perl)
Select All
	return if %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log"; 

Then find
Code (Perl)
Select All
	if (defined %yyuserlog) { 

and replace with
Code (Perl)
Select All
	if (%yyuserlog) { 

defined hashes are deprecated in Perl 5.16 and it's possible this is causing problems. (On Apache servers it throws a non-fatal error to the Apache error log.)

Similar code is in 2.1 - in Subs.pl find all instances of 'defined %' and removed the 'defined'.

If the host for westernbassclub.com updated to Perl 5.16 AND it's an IIS server, then that may be part of the problem.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:03am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

7feet
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:49am
Post Tools
Everyone,

I appreciate everyone trying to help but after reading all the suggestions it’s clear to me that we need to pay someone that is familiar with the YABB software to help us out.  

We are a fishing club located near Seattle, WA, and we know much more about catching fish than we do about the technical side of setting up and repairing websites.

Is there a reliable person that could help us with this at a decent price?

Not only do we have the previously mentioned CGI Error, there are other things that are happening with our website that we don’t know how to deal with.

Issue #1 – CGI Error – The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.  We cannot access our forums which is the most important part of our website.

Issue #2 – Our opening web page source code appears to have been hacked and someone placed code in at least two spots on that page, their maybe other spots that aren’t obvious to us, with links to designer handbag sellers and dress outlets in the UK.  Not sure what this does.  I called our service provider, EasyCGI, and they removed the first instance of the handbag sellers from the code but left the second instance.  Not sure if this removal has anything with us receiving the CGI error.  Still need the other identified spot removed and need to have someone review the code to see if there are other problems in our Index.htm file.

Issue #3 – Our admin at westernbassclub dot com e-mail box keeps having e-mails apparently sent from the site back to the site from The Guardian, saying Scripting Abuse and Proxy Access Abuse Detected.  There is an e-mail every few minutes every day for this.  We have just changed our admin password again.  Not sure why this is happening, whether it is bad and what we can do to prevent it if it is bad.

Issue # 4 – We are running YABB 2.1.  I am guessing there are substantial upgrades to the software since this version but we don’t have the technical expertise to install this on our current site.

So you can see we have more than just the one issue that needs to be dealt with and we don’t have the knowledge to deal with this.

I called up our service provider, EasyCGI, and asked them if they have recently changed anything on their servers, or recently upgraded Perl, if they have changed or removed a Perl Module or changed permissions/ownership for the items in the cgi-bin, and they are asking some higher level people and will get back to me shortly.

Our site is using Perl version 5.8.8 on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise.

I can get the installed PERL modules if that is important.

Is there someone that can help us with this at a fair price?

Thank you for any advice and help you can offer,

Karl Kramer
Western Bass Club

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am
Post Tools
7feet wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:49am:
Is there someone that can help us with this at a fair price?

Look at me, volunteering xnoddyx's help again. Cheesy

Karl, xnoddyx is an expert with YaBB, so I have no doubt he can fix your forum. I'm guessing he'll probably recommend upgrading YaBB, which again, he's an expert at doing.

So far at least, he's been gracious enough to help at no cost. Wink He'll probably read your most recent post soon. Cool
By the way, Dandello's instructions will surely be a huge help for those who need it. Smiley

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:28am:
The fixes I noted shouldn't affect YaBB on Perl 5.88.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:35am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:28am
Post Tools
The fixes I noted shouldn't affect YaBB on Perl 5.88. Based on the other issues, I'm guessing your site got hacked AND there are other server issues that allowed it.

The emails coming from Guardian are reports of attempts to do bad things to the site. Changing the admin's password isn't going to help as Guardian is reporting attempted possible attacks from outside - which Guardian thwarted.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:50pm:
Right. PHP isn't installed on your server. If it was, then a reported solution is to change your PHP settings to run as ISAPI / Fast CGI in windows hosting.

YaBB and Fast CGI have in the past have had some problems but i cannot say if this is still true.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:50pm:
I'm just the messenger here.

it is cool I was just saying that 9 out of 10 times for me a
Quote:
error a update to 2.5.2 fixed it for them.

Dandello wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:01am:
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.

on my test server of a copy of 2.1 i just down loaded Setup.pl still had the CGI Error Sad so cant test more just now.

Issue #1 – CGI Error – The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.  We cannot access our forums which is the most important part of our website.

when i get a copy of 2.1 working on my test server i will get ftp or a copy from you to test the fix on it for you or i can do a test install of YaBB 2.5.2 on your host for you and see if that runs ok for you and then i can update you to 2.5.2 if you like only prob is if you have any mods made to the forum you will probably lose them.

Issue #2 – Our opening web page source code appears to have been hacked and someone placed code in at least two spots on that page, their maybe other spots that aren’t obvious to us, with links to designer handbag sellers and dress outlets in the UK.  Not sure what this does.  I called our service provider, EasyCGI, and they removed the first instance of the handbag sellers from the code but left the second instance.  Not sure if this removal has anything with us receiving the CGI error.  Still need the other identified spot removed and need to have someone review the code to see if there are other problems in our Index.htm file.

i have had a look and can see the code in the page see hcode.txt
i can fix this for you but will try to get your forum back online for you and then go from there for you.

Issue #

4 – We are running YABB 2.1.  I am guessing there are substantial upgrades to the software since this version but we don’t have the technical expertise to install this on our current site.

as part of my re: on #1 if you want i can update you to 2.5.2 and yes it is a substantial update we are also working on YaBB 2.6 and from 2.5.2 this is also a substantial update.

so if you want you can pm or email me ftp login info for the site and i will have a look and see what i can do for you.  SmileyBill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
Look at me, volunteering xnoddyx's help again.

lol it's cool i am here to help Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
Karl, xnoddyx is an expert with YaBB, so I have no doubt he can fix your forum. I'm guessing he'll probably recommend upgrading YaBB, which again, he's an expert at doing.

compared to Dandello's expertise i am just a tadpole in a vast ocean.  SmileyBill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
So far at least, he's been gracious enough to help at no cost.  He'll probably read your most recent post soon.

i have and i have.  Smiley

hcode.txt (Attachment deleted)

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:24pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:32pm:
compared to Dandello's expertise i am just a tadpole in a vast ocean.

I wouldn't go that far, because if I did, that would make me an amoeba at best. Cheesy

In any case, I most definitely agree that Dandello's expertise is quite exceptional, no doubt. The reason I suggested that you get directly involved is because of how you've done the same for other admin, and by now you've gotten quite experienced at it.

In my book, both you and Dandello are to be applauded, and I do so once again! Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
Our site is using Perl version 5.8.8 on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise.

That right there is the source (in some fashion) of the problem.

That particular error is the one that got me originally working on YaBB (on IIS)

Dandello is right, I have a bunch of forums on Windows Server 2003, running Perl 5.8 (as a matter of fact, LOL). Including a 2.0a YaBB forum (still works)

I think the problem is IIS related.
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
I think the problem is IIS related.

And that's coming from an expert on IIS related issues.

I presumed as much when I started reading about this from a number of different sources, which is why I referenced this page about it.

But like Karl mentioned, he needs help with this, as would I since it's over my head. Thankfully, I have the benefit of a good hosting service, which to date has been pretty great at taking care of any problems I've had with our server. Besides, our server uses Linux with DEBIAN as its server side operating system (not IIS).

If xnoddyx gets to see his forum's insides, it'll be interesting to see what he says about it.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:10pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
Including a 2.0a YaBB forum (still works)

Shocked cool can you post or pm or email me the info how you did it please so i can start testing looks like I will keep my test server up just now.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:24pm:
I wouldn't go that far, because if I did, that would make me an amoeba at best.

I think amoeba are cool but at the same time it puts me in mind of john carpenter's the thing 1982 it's the only film that has freaked me out and i still have that bit at the back of my mind what if.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top