Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CGI application not returning complete set of HTTP headers (Read 1,010 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: CGI application not returning complete set of HTTP headers
Reply #24 - May 3rd, 2014 at 9:18pm
Post Tools
OK, It looks like the host updated their Perl and broke YaBB (which has/had working up to that point).

Thanks
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2014 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
This fix should probably be one of the first new additions to the Codex once it's back.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2014 at 6:24pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on May 3rd, 2014 at 3:49pm:
Quote:
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.In 2.5.0 Subs.pl find Code  (Perl)      return if defined %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

replace with Code  (Perl)      return if %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

A. Was this the fix that was used?

B. Was the actual problem that the host had updated Perl?  I.E. What Perl version is currently installed?

C. Were they using ActivePerl in ISAPi mode?

D. Were they using "shebang lines"?

Wink

to A
yes from post #6

to B
from what I can tell yes what I did was download the full 2.1 forum after in a new dir uploaded 2.5.2 it setup and runs fine then made the edits to the Subs.pl for 2.1 and uploaded that back to the 2.1 forum and the forum was back online

to C
yes to ActivePerl
as to in ISAPi mode
I don't no

and to D
no looks like the way I have my one running with file extension
-----------------------
I have server info saved and will email them to you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2014 at 3:49pm
Post Tools
Quote:
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.In 2.5.0 Subs.pl find Code  (Perl)      return if defined %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

replace with Code  (Perl)      return if %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

A. Was this the fix that was used?

B. Was the actual problem that the host had updated Perl?  I.E. What Perl version is currently installed?

C. Were they using ActivePerl in ISAPi mode?

D. Were they using "shebang lines"?

Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2014 at 2:57pm
Post Tools
update time:

info here did work forum now back up and running YaBB 252 also uploaded and working will have 7feet have a look at it and see if he wants the update it is recommended.
Dandello wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:01am:
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.In 2.5.0 Subs.pl find Code  (Perl)      return if defined %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

replace with Code  (Perl)      return if %yyuserlog || $iamguest || !$max_log_days_old || !-e "$memberdir/$username.log";

dns for westernbassclub.com and www.westernbassclub.com to resolve different ip address.

now going email him and I will have a look at site code on website.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2014 at 1:55am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 12:15am:
That film was pretty freaky

I think it still is.

JonB wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 2:01am:
The correct question is:

Are they using IIS Perl ISAPI?

Good Luck

will see if I can find that out for you.

JonB wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 2:01am:
I went to search the Codex for my 'all about IIS thing' - Unfortunately, on some unknown evening, the ole Cap'n, while rampaging about in the Codex like an unhappy elephant, saw fit to remove/hide/what-the-'eff'-ever my "how to debug/install YaBB on IIS contribution". I don't know if I still have a copy.I gave up working on the Codex because nothing was attributed, tested and everything was subject to whatever instant revision he chose to make (without annotations).  I couldn't find stuff from week to week.Never again

I did say it was pretty bad in there that's why the update one I was working on was taking its time and fixing some errors in the info  Sad

7feet wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 1:17pm:
I sent an e-mail to xnoddyx inquiring about the way forward with all of this.Thank you guys for all your input so far !Karl KramerWestern Bass Club

I got your email and you have a RE:

Bill Myers wrote on May 1st, 2014 at 3:46pm:
Then you'll be in good hands.

thanks Bill Smiley

will post updates and info back here when I have it.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2014 at 1:56am by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:46pm
Post Tools
Then you'll be in good hands. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

7feet
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - May 1st, 2014 at 1:17pm
Post Tools
I sent an e-mail to xnoddyx inquiring about the way forward with all of this.

Thank you guys for all your input so far !

Karl Kramer
Western Bass Club

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - May 1st, 2014 at 2:01am
Post Tools
The correct question is:

Are they using IIS Perl ISAPI?

Good Luck

Edited:
I went to search the Codex for my 'all about IIS thing' -
Unfortunately, on some unknown evening, the ole Cap'n, while rampaging about in the Codex like an unhappy elephant, saw fit to remove/hide/what-the-'eff'-ever my "how to debug/install YaBB on IIS contribution". I don't know if I still have a copy.

I gave up working on the Codex because nothing was attributed, tested and everything was subject to whatever instant revision he chose to make (without annotations).  I couldn't find stuff from week to week.

Never again

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2014 at 12:15am
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:10pm:
... john carpenter's the thing 1982 ...

That film was pretty freaky (also known as John Carpenter's The Thing). It certainly has a great 8.2 out of 10 rating on it (as of this post).

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:10pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
Including a 2.0a YaBB forum (still works)

Shocked cool can you post or pm or email me the info how you did it please so i can start testing looks like I will keep my test server up just now.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:24pm:
I wouldn't go that far, because if I did, that would make me an amoeba at best.

I think amoeba are cool but at the same time it puts me in mind of john carpenter's the thing 1982 it's the only film that has freaked me out and i still have that bit at the back of my mind what if.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
I think the problem is IIS related.

And that's coming from an expert on IIS related issues.

I presumed as much when I started reading about this from a number of different sources, which is why I referenced this page about it.

But like Karl mentioned, he needs help with this, as would I since it's over my head. Thankfully, I have the benefit of a good hosting service, which to date has been pretty great at taking care of any problems I've had with our server. Besides, our server uses Linux with DEBIAN as its server side operating system (not IIS).

If xnoddyx gets to see his forum's insides, it'll be interesting to see what he says about it.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Post Tools
Our site is using Perl version 5.8.8 on a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise.

That right there is the source (in some fashion) of the problem.

That particular error is the one that got me originally working on YaBB (on IIS)

Dandello is right, I have a bunch of forums on Windows Server 2003, running Perl 5.8 (as a matter of fact, LOL). Including a 2.0a YaBB forum (still works)

I think the problem is IIS related.
Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 3:24pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:32pm:
compared to Dandello's expertise i am just a tadpole in a vast ocean.

I wouldn't go that far, because if I did, that would make me an amoeba at best. Cheesy

In any case, I most definitely agree that Dandello's expertise is quite exceptional, no doubt. The reason I suggested that you get directly involved is because of how you've done the same for other admin, and by now you've gotten quite experienced at it.

In my book, both you and Dandello are to be applauded, and I do so once again! Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:50pm:
Right. PHP isn't installed on your server. If it was, then a reported solution is to change your PHP settings to run as ISAPI / Fast CGI in windows hosting.

YaBB and Fast CGI have in the past have had some problems but i cannot say if this is still true.

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 11:50pm:
I'm just the messenger here.

it is cool I was just saying that 9 out of 10 times for me a
Quote:
CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.
error a update to 2.5.2 fixed it for them.

Dandello wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:01am:
The problem for  2.5 and below in Perl 5.16 is some deprecated code.

on my test server of a copy of 2.1 i just down loaded Setup.pl still had the CGI Error Sad so cant test more just now.

7feet wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:49am:
Issue #1 – CGI Error – The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.  We cannot access our forums which is the most important part of our website.

when i get a copy of 2.1 working on my test server i will get ftp or a copy from you to test the fix on it for you or i can do a test install of YaBB 2.5.2 on your host for you and see if that runs ok for you and then i can update you to 2.5.2 if you like only prob is if you have any mods made to the forum you will probably lose them.

Issue #2 – Our opening web page source code appears to have been hacked and someone placed code in at least two spots on that page, their maybe other spots that aren’t obvious to us, with links to designer handbag sellers and dress outlets in the UK.  Not sure what this does.  I called our service provider, EasyCGI, and they removed the first instance of the handbag sellers from the code but left the second instance.  Not sure if this removal has anything with us receiving the CGI error.  Still need the other identified spot removed and need to have someone review the code to see if there are other problems in our Index.htm file.

i have had a look and can see the code in the page see hcode.txt
i can fix this for you but will try to get your forum back online for you and then go from there for you.

Issue #

4 – We are running YABB 2.1.  I am guessing there are substantial upgrades to the software since this version but we don’t have the technical expertise to install this on our current site.

as part of my re: on #1 if you want i can update you to 2.5.2 and yes it is a substantial update we are also working on YaBB 2.6 and from 2.5.2 this is also a substantial update.

so if you want you can pm or email me ftp login info for the site and i will have a look and see what i can do for you.  SmileyBill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
Look at me, volunteering xnoddyx's help again.

lol it's cool i am here to help Smiley

Bill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
Karl, xnoddyx is an expert with YaBB, so I have no doubt he can fix your forum. I'm guessing he'll probably recommend upgrading YaBB, which again, he's an expert at doing.

compared to Dandello's expertise i am just a tadpole in a vast ocean.  SmileyBill Myers wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:58am:
So far at least, he's been gracious enough to help at no cost.  He'll probably read your most recent post soon.

i have and i have.  Smiley

hcode.txt (Attachment deleted)

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top