Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
There are no actions to perform.
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Post convert/upgrade (Read 1,382 times)
aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Post convert/upgrade
May 6th, 2014 at 3:05am
Hi Guys,

I just want to ask something about running convert2x.pl. What will happen if I point the source to a running yabb forum and do the convert/upgrade? will the existing forum remain untouched?

Tried finding a same thread but got unlucky.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Post convert/upgrade
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2014 at 5:21am
The existing forum will remain untouched - the files will be copied to the new folders and fixed as needed. However, to use the existing folders for converting, both forums have to be on the same server. (You can't copy files that are on a different server or computer.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2014 at 6:15am
Yes, it is exactly my current setup, thanks for the info Dandello  Smiley

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - May 6th, 2014 at 6:54am
Okay, now I am able to point to the existing forum, during conversion, it keeps giving me a timeout error, most likely because of the large data it covers (2gb). Is there a way I could extend the request duration length? Thanks again.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2014 at 2:54pm
Are you getting 504 Gateway errors? (I'm guessing 'yes')

The CGI Gateway timeout is generally actually a webserver value.  It is 'almost' universally defaulted to 5 minutes (300 seconds).

Is the forum on one of your servers or is it on a hosting company's equipment?  I probably should also ask Linux/Apache, Windows/IIS or something else???

Huh

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2014 at 4:12pm
Yes you are correct JonB. Unfortunately my site is in a hosting company.

What I have tried is do a convert on my dev pc, I am using IIS and had set the timeout to 2:00:00 and it did the trick. (Converting 125,000 files in Messages, 98,000 in Members, and a little in Boards). I was trying to find any cpanel settings that should do the same but there was none so far.

I was thinking of modifying Convert2x.pl but being a non-perl web developer would be a little challenging for me áTongue

Looking at how convert2x.pl was implemented, every request targets to process the whole folder (message/boards/members) which would definitely hit site owners having large amount of data (like me Sad ) (Correct me if I am wrong as I do not see the page do a refresh from time to time during convert) Any suggestions?

if this is getting off-topic, we should probably move this post to a new thread. áSmiley
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2014 at 4:16pm by aaron360 »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2014 at 4:57pm
If you're coming up from 2.5, the difference in members and messages files is minimal. Assuming you don't have the mods Board Password or Board Rules installed, you can directly copy your old members, messages, and boards files into the new folders. Copy your old Settings.pl into the new Variables and rename it Settings.pm.

Then go to the Admin center and fill in the missing new variables and run the maintenance utilities.

(And thanks for pointing out the timeout issue. I'll look into a fix.)

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - May 6th, 2014 at 5:12pm
That's good news D.  Smiley

@ aaron360 -

On most hosting companies (other than VPSs or dedicated servers) the clients don't have access to that value because its usually server-wide and can't be specified at vhost level.

Wink
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2014 at 5:24pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2014 at 11:26pm
Hi Guys,

This is my first time to handle a site that runs on a hosting company so that is what I am afraid of, limited settings... I guess it's a dead end on doing a convert on the production server for now  Sad

My existing site runs on 2.4, and the new site runs on 2.6 (should I be worried if I use 2.6? Shocked). Can I do a direct copy on Messages,Boards, Members and Variables as well?

I got a copy of the newest version about two months ago, and also checked out your svn branch (just last week), I am planning to merge your code and my modifications (on the templates and some on the sources folder) locally then will publish my new site later on.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2014 at 11:32pm by aaron360 »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2014 at 5:33am
In theory it should work with 2.4 messages, boards, and members. BUT I won't guarantee that everything in Variables will work by just being copied over - over time things that were in separate data files got incorporated into Settings.pl/pm so those settings will have be be tracked down and re-inputted via the Admin Center.

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2014 at 6:56am
the information you gave has been very helpful for me, this will make my work easier, thanks a million Dandello and JonB  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - May 7th, 2014 at 11:28am
Version 2.6 is very, very well tested and about to be released. Dandello, Derek Barnstorm and the others put in a huge effort.  Smiley

I have done a few kludge-fits (2.4, 2.5, and YaBB Next) already during the testing, and there are a lot of things to track down. I have not had to use the converters.

The templates fix is a good amount of work. I am doing my first experiment right now on that.

Good Luck
Cool

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - May 7th, 2014 at 1:46pm
I've got a 2.5AE/2.5.2 forum using the 2.5AE default template in the process of being converted to 2.6.0.

IP Logged

RonS2
Language Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #13 - May 7th, 2014 at 8:25pm
FWIW I moved a 2.4 site to a 2.5.2 site with no problems.
Then I moved the 2.5.2 to 2.5.4 alpha (latter to be renamed 2.6) with very little trouble and as far as I can tell most of the problems I had have been addressed in 2.6.

I just copied the messages, boards, and members folders then went into the Admin center and ran all the items under Maintenance Controls.

If I recall the only glitch I ran into were the custom profiles. I had to manually copy them from the Settings.pl and paste them into Settings.pm. The hardest part about doing that was figuring out that was what I had to do after that it was a breeze. I see from D's post all I had to do was copy and rename the extension on Settings file.

My template is highly customized and I haven't tackled that yet. Its on my todo list

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2014 at 4:47pm
Did the same thing on Members and Boards folder, worked like charm. now the issue is with the Messages folder, I coudn't get to successfully copy this folder as it was too large for the FTP Copy request to complete (Using CPanel's file manager to get this done). Looking at the ajax request responsible for the copy, it is always ending up with a request timeout error.

While waiting for the board owner's response on my question whether to delete old messages/posts, I noticed I can point the messages folder to the existing site (which is like pointing to a different datasource). Tried it and I can see live data from the existing site. Being a total newbie in YaBB, I was too afraid to do a test post. Only thing I am concerned is that if I were to point the new site on the existing site's messages folder, will the new site (2.6) do any harm to the existing site (2.4)? thinking of pointing the boards and members folder to the existing site as well.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2014 at 4:55pm by aaron360 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4