Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Post convert/upgrade (Read 1,089 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Post convert/upgrade
Reply #22 - May 15th, 2014 at 12:09pm
Post Tools
@ aaron360

It is very likely we will be adding a 'batched' conversion. What I mean by that is 'convert X amount' of ... , then refresh, report, start again.

Thanks & Good Luck

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #21 - May 15th, 2014 at 1:29am
Post Tools
Hi JonB,

Indeed it will work as this was the first activity I did when I first got this yabb site re-skin/upgrade job. With the poor connection my country currently has, it took me 1 day to download, half a day to convert and 2 days upload the whole site, I had to do a separate zip to get a successful upload so this option was at the bottom of our list  Sad

Regrading the conversion fix, maybe it would be better if you can do it async, with that, you can also bring out the progress of the conversion job. For example in the messages folder, have a place where you get to list all of the files and have each file do a convert job, 1 job = 1 thread, then run 5~20 concurrent threads until all files have been converted. Note that these threads are initiated by ajax calls so you don't have to do a POST request on the whole page which will avoid the timeout issue. Hope this helps  Smiley

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2014 at 6:27pm
Post Tools
Definitely time to put in a support call or ticket to see if you can get the timeout issue fixed.

FWIW - I'll give you my 'best option' scenario (assuming you do not already have your own Linux server or a workstation).

A. Set up a local OpenBox Linux Virtual Machine.
B. Install YaBB on localhost inside the VM
C. edit the hosts file on the VM, add this entry
127.0.0.1 <- www.thefourumsdomain.tld
D. Have the ISP/host zip/tar.gz up the whole shooting match for you.
E. do the conversion locally
F. tar or zip up the 'fixed' folders, re-up them to new 'empty' folder structure.

I know this way will work, as I have done it quite a few times. I also realize this may be over-budget, or just flat un-doable for many.

Good Luck
Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2014 at 6:29pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #19 - May 13th, 2014 at 7:02pm
Post Tools
aaron360 wrote on May 13th, 2014 at 6:46pm:
I just want to know if two apps of different versions could share one data temporarily (during testing the new site)

If you are the only one accessing the data from both versions you might get away with it. Turning on file locking on both might help.

Don't take me as the final word, wait until someone who knows better answer this.

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #18 - May 13th, 2014 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
1806315 Posts within 57347 Topics

Well that would definitely work. But I won't be in total control of the whole migration process then. There are 33759 Topics and 836089 posts in the trash right now and I am itching to have that deleted by the owner. I just want to know if two apps of different versions could share one data temporarily (during testing the new site)  Smiley

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2014 at 6:40pm
Post Tools
Hmmm... how many topics/message does your forum have?

It might be the time to ask your host provider to either lengthen the time out period or ask them to move the files for you.

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #16 - May 13th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Post Tools
yep, already did try to compress the folder but no luck, it got stuck on showing "Creating Archive" and again, the timeout did occur. after waiting for some time thinking the request was still processed in the server, no zip file was found on the destination folder. Sad

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #15 - May 13th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Post Tools
In cPanel go to the file manager

Once there compress the old message folder.

Move the compressed file to the new YaBB install

Now extract the contents of the file (folder) in the proper directory. This will overwrite the existing folder and anything there will be lost

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2014 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
Did the same thing on Members and Boards folder, worked like charm. now the issue is with the Messages folder, I coudn't get to successfully copy this folder as it was too large for the FTP Copy request to complete (Using CPanel's file manager to get this done). Looking at the ajax request responsible for the copy, it is always ending up with a request timeout error.

While waiting for the board owner's response on my question whether to delete old messages/posts, I noticed I can point the messages folder to the existing site (which is like pointing to a different datasource). Tried it and I can see live data from the existing site. Being a total newbie in YaBB, I was too afraid to do a test post. Only thing I am concerned is that if I were to point the new site on the existing site's messages folder, will the new site (2.6) do any harm to the existing site (2.4)? thinking of pointing the boards and members folder to the existing site as well.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2014 at 4:55pm by aaron360 »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2014 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
FWIW I moved a 2.4 site to a 2.5.2 site with no problems.
Then I moved the 2.5.2 to 2.5.4 alpha (latter to be renamed 2.6) with very little trouble and as far as I can tell most of the problems I had have been addressed in 2.6.

I just copied the messages, boards, and members folders then went into the Admin center and ran all the items under Maintenance Controls.

If I recall the only glitch I ran into were the custom profiles. I had to manually copy them from the Settings.pl and paste them into Settings.pm. The hardest part about doing that was figuring out that was what I had to do after that it was a breeze. I see from D's post all I had to do was copy and rename the extension on Settings file.

My template is highly customized and I haven't tackled that yet. Its on my todo list

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - May 7th, 2014 at 1:46pm
Post Tools
I've got a 2.5AE/2.5.2 forum using the 2.5AE default template in the process of being converted to 2.6.0.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - May 7th, 2014 at 11:28am
Post Tools
Version 2.6 is very, very well tested and about to be released. Dandello, Derek Barnstorm and the others put in a huge effort.  Smiley

I have done a few kludge-fits (2.4, 2.5, and YaBB Next) already during the testing, and there are a lot of things to track down. I have not had to use the converters.

The templates fix is a good amount of work. I am doing my first experiment right now on that.

Good Luck
Cool

IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2014 at 6:56am
Post Tools
the information you gave has been very helpful for me, this will make my work easier, thanks a million Dandello and JonB  Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2014 at 5:33am
Post Tools
In theory it should work with 2.4 messages, boards, and members. BUT I won't guarantee that everything in Variables will work by just being copied over - over time things that were in separate data files got incorporated into Settings.pl/pm so those settings will have be be tracked down and re-inputted via the Admin Center.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

aaron360
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2014 at 11:26pm
Post Tools
Hi Guys,

This is my first time to handle a site that runs on a hosting company so that is what I am afraid of, limited settings... I guess it's a dead end on doing a convert on the production server for now  Sad

My existing site runs on 2.4, and the new site runs on 2.6 (should I be worried if I use 2.6? Shocked). Can I do a direct copy on Messages,Boards, Members and Variables as well?

I got a copy of the newest version about two months ago, and also checked out your svn branch (just last week), I am planning to merge your code and my modifications (on the templates and some on the sources folder) locally then will publish my new site later on.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2014 at 11:32pm by aaron360 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top